Ram Promaster Forum banner

Squealing Drive Belt when Wet

13K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  turbokaos 
#1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with a drive belt squealing on startup after it rains or after washing? My dealer told me this is common in high humidity areas (I'm in Florida). I don't buy that answer. I looked last night and performed a water test. It appears that the water that drains into the drain tube from the air induction area in the hood (passenger's side) runs down the front passenger's side inner fender well onto the plastic cover that runs along the bottom of the engine and onto the bottom drive belt. Problem is the drain tube can't be repositioned because it's attached to an opening in the fender well. Anybody heard of this problem and/or know a fix?Thank you,

#2 ·
I'm in the opposite corner of the country (southeast WA state) and opposite weather (quite dry on this side of the state).

But, also having a diesel, I have not had any squealing from the belt. I've washed it several times, driving it right afterwards. Driven in rain, nothing. And just recently drove back to Maryland, with plenty of humidity along the way in MO, IL, IN, OH, and WV. Have never had anything resembling a drive belt squeal.

#3 ·
What he said ^^^^^. I live in the semi-humid NE and no squeal in my diesel. I’d take it back in and suggest they had not solved a problem and suggest they tighten the belt adjustment a bit. I do get a bit of water in the air intake housing in rain and I have checked that my drains are free.

#5 ·
Ron, that's exactly what mine does. It seems the drain on the air induction system for the A/C drops water onto the plastic engine protection cover on the bottom of the engine which then splashes onto the lower belt. I tried to adjust the drain hose a bit; we'll see what happens. Ultimately, it sounds like it's not a big deal. Thanks for the response.

#13 ·
I found a link that resumes a solution that a person posted years ago on italian motorhome forum. Meantime there were in Europe some recalls and some modifications (or covers added) for the problem by Fiat and than FCA.

Anyway could be useful for some. It is in italian.
https://www.camperlife.it/fai-da-te/meccanica/modifica-eliminare-le-infiltrazioni-dacqua-nel-vano-motore-9525.html

The main defect, that for me is more due to the way is assembled in production line (not all vehicles have that defect), is the one of the pieces junction at the base of the windshield.

In the photos You see the use of silicon, but there are better "sealers", dark color (black), anti UV, ... designed to be used for vehicles.

#14 ·
I have no squeeking problems but I checked the plastic at the bottom of my windshield and one side is warped out quite a bit. I haven't noticed water going in but it must so I'm going to try the sealing trick you posted.

Is this more of a diesel problem than a gasser problem?

Thanks for the link!

#16 ·
Living on the wet side of the Cascades in SW Wa I wake up my neighbors almost daily with the squeal...lol It rains here way to much
I have the local dealer look at it, but after past experience I won't go back there so I like others rev it up a bit and it goes away until the next rainy day.

Reactions: lacfla
#17 ·
I have had the same squeal problem, but Beware in the Winter. We had had a rain followed by freezing temps. I went out to start my diesel and it acted like a low battery, it finally turned over and smoke boiled from under the hood. The squeal was there but stopped and so did the smoke. Everything seemed to work fine until Spring and a very warm day. NO air conditioner. Seems the Rain turned into Ice and the belt was frozen to the compressor. The dealership and I came up with a fix. I stopped by a sign shop and got two vinyl magnetic strips to fit over the hood vent openings. When it forecast rain and freezing temps I would put the strips over the hood openings and take them off the next morning. That solved that problem. I don't mind a little squeal but I sure don't want smoke and a broken belt again. Hope this will save someone problems.

#19 ·
Thanks to all forum members! I thought the recent onset of squealing was just a poorly adjusted drive belt, not that I can actually see the drive belt but I have faith that it is in there. But since I am in western Washington and the return of the monsoons seems to coincide with the noise I'll have to go out and check my scuttle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.