Ram Promaster Forum banner

The Sonicsix Conversion

43K views 101 replies 24 participants last post by  Quest4Adv 
#1 ·
I reckon the hosts of the forum would prefer everything here but it just isn't feasible for me to do that... so, I will give the link to where I am keeping track of things. I am converting a 2014 ProMaster 2500 159" Wheelbase, High Roof, Gas model to a handicap accessible camper van. I will make a post here each time I have new information to share.

http://rvroadtrip.us/library/van_index.php

#88 ·
I built the driver's side bed to be modular, 3 separate sections. This way I can remove 1 or 2 section at will when not using the van as a camper, or if I simply need more space. Section 1 contains the batteries and electrical components and it is not designed to be removed. Here's a shot of section 1 in progress. The A/C is hooked up and running in this picture.

Here you can see section 2 (middle section) open. It has a lid for access from the inside and is open on the back for access when the sliding door is open. You can also see the smaller section 3.

This is the whole bed installed. Section 1 has the converter/charger, a switch that controls the overhead lights, a volt meter, 2 USB ports and a 120v outlet.

#90 ·
The passenger side bed for the wife is expandable so it does not take up space when not in use. Here it is collapsed. What is not visible in these images is the shelf over the fender well that extends from the bed to the rear of the van. When the mattress is not in use, it stands on its edge and is pushed to the back of the van along the wall. It is out of the way and held up by a strap. There is a small storage area under the bed accessed by a little door.

Here is a shot of the little door open.

And finally, here is the bed extended. The mattress is 6' long and fits on the frame perfectly. There is still 16" of space to get in and out of the sliding door when the bed is extended. When the mattress is collapsed and the mattress stowed, the entire door is unblocked.

I will try to get out and take come pictures with the mattresses in the van.

#93 ·
Jerry,

I missed the last few posts! Wow... lots of changes to the van. All of the changes make lots of sense given the new location for the wheelchair. It does seem like a better place than out the side door. It's usually easier to find some space behind the van than enough space next to it.

The side by side beds came out nice too. I have them in my design and we are very happy with their usefulness and the large amount of storage available under them. I like the shortened version, and the pieced version... allows for lots of "modularity" for different purposes.

Good to see lots of creative solutions in you redesigned plan. I'm amazed the AC doesn't work better but if it gets the job done, that's OK. I still have to decide on whether I need to do something on mine. It gets real hot under the sun, but is cool enough to sleep comfortably at night. Some window vents and a portable Fantastic fan work pretty well. OTOH, I still think about replacing the rear door window (drivers side) with a wood or metal plate and installing a small house AC unit out the back window. Seems like a good spot. We saw some nice LG units in some popup trailers at an RV show, and they looked like they would work. Things are cooling down this time of year, so maybe next spring!

Hoping you make it thru CT some day soon!... keep up the work, (do you think you'll ever be finished?)

Ed

#94 ·
Hoping you make it thru CT some day soon!... keep up the work, (do you think you'll ever be finished?)
We are planning to pass through Connecticut next year... http://rvroadtrip.us/roadtrips/2017roadtrip.php

We will likely never be finished, you know how that goes. I'll always come up with some way to improve on something. Plus, I have a fair amount of trim work to do inside yet.

#95 ·
Looks and function are really great.
Pretty sure the reason your window-type AC wouldn't work is because the side intake vents for the A/C unit were mostly isolated to the inside of the van. The small floor holes couldn't match the exhaust flow. So most of the exhaust air was being replaced by outside air drawn into the van from myriad seams/weep vents/etc. Same way single-hose portable AC units work; inefficient and ineffective. My portable setup seemed fine for a dry 10 degree delta but was almost useless when I needed 15-20 degree temp reduction in humid conditions. Intake and exhaust for the hot side of the unit need to be isolated from the inside air so the cooled air can be recirculated, not replaced (as I understand it). See posts by MarkEvol in the Onan generator thread for the best design for a window unit I've seen. I'm dumping my portable for something like his.

#100 ·
OK, my Ionic Factory Style Running Boards arrived this morning via FedEx. I opened the box and looked everything over... I had 2 long boards and a mounting kit. There was a lot of stuff in the mounting kit, but it turned out to be exactly what was needed. It took me about an hour per side to install the boards... someone who is not as gimpy as me could probably do it in half that time.

One thing I did note, the instructions call for installing an adhesive tube gap filler between the boards and the body of the van, but no such item was in the kit. It is designed to hide the 1/2" gap between the top of the board and the van body, as well as keep out dirt, debris and water. I just ordered a D shaped self adhesive gasket from eBay and will install that when it arrives. I will have to loosen the boards to install it, but that is no big deal at all.

Anyway, here is a video I made about the installation and a few static pictures. The video is WAY better than the pictures. Overall, I am very happy with these running boards and the price I paid for them, $240.90.

https://youtu.be/mjM3nsm7cQM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.