HELP: Replacing Uconnect with Aftermarket Headunit - Page 10 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #91 of 99 Old 04-28-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Andrew Crane

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes the whole kit is pretty sketchy, I feel like it will break anytime I have to remove or install my headunit. Best bet is to unscrew the clip board to allow some access to help maneuver the wires and harness into a good spot.

I found the trim ring a bit small to fit around the Pioneer unit I purchased but after some wiggling and persuasion it all fit. I think Metra needs to widen the opening on that trim ring a hair to make it fit better, but it could just be my headunit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodane View Post
Hello All!

My first Promaster!! New to Forums!

anyone have problems with the double din Metra dash kit? mine seems very flimsy and will not let me put the trim ring on. it basically flexes when i put the radio in so nothing will line up. Any help i would be appreciated...

2014 159" Gas - Setup to carry stand up paddleboards, surfboards, kiteboarding gear and to camp in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 11-17-2016, 02:33 PM
Dwight

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Anyone else try this?

I'm thinking about doing it...finally!

Most converned abouy getting steering wheel controls and backup camera working
post #93 of 99 Old 11-17-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Andrew Crane

(Thread Starter)
Use the Idatalink Maestro and you will be fine. Both the backup and steering controls will work with no issue. It is also super easy to install. The only issue

Feel free to PM me any questions and your contact info, always happy to help.

2014 159" Gas - Setup to carry stand up paddleboards, surfboards, kiteboarding gear and to camp in.
post #94 of 99 Old 01-02-2017, 03:09 PM
bestaudioguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Decided to visit Crutchfeld and now I'm more confused. They say that most of the stuff you show will not work on a 2014 PM.

Here is what they suggest.
https://www.crutchfield.com/cart/default.aspx?wm=tn1

ClearCom, LLC Pro A/V
www.bestaudioguy.com
info@bestaudioguy.com
twitter - bestaudioguy
post #95 of 99 Old 01-02-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Andrew Crane

(Thread Starter)
Your links didnt work, but from my research and first hand issues crutchfield has wrong info.

I had a couple of things that were conflicting with crutchfield, amazon and a few other online stores. The dash kit and the fakra adapter were 2 items that I had several different suggestions. Amazon made it easy to return the parts that didnt work.

If you have a Promaster with the UCantConnect system then post #87 has all the parts needed. Post #88 has further install details

Delete the MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers, it caused issues with the Idatalink. Not sure if that will be the case with any DVD motion by-pass but at this point I dont have DVDs anymore so its not necessary.

Good luck, it is worth the upgrade!

post #96 of 99 Old 01-02-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Andrew Crane

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crane View Post
Finally got everything installed, no more flashing odometer or clock!! And my factory steering wheel controls are back!! Super stoked on this.

So the first attempt at installing failed, the unit would not power up and Maestro was clueless. I believe 1 of 2 things was the culprit:
1. The Micro Bypass for DVD use while in drive was interfering
Or
2. The CANBUS system wasnt reading there was a "factory headunit" in place, so I reinstalled the factory Uconnect pressed some buttons cycled the ignition and then removed.

I have a feeling it was caused by #1 .

So, a couple of install notes:
  • Flash your Maestro unit first, you will need the last 6 numbers of your aftermarket headunit serial number. If this isnt done the maestro and headunit wont talk with each other. Go to http://maestro.idatalink.com/weblink to flash the maestro unit, this online system only works with Internet Exploder or in Chrome if you have the IE-Tab clone app.
  • The red quick connector on the wire harness is not connected from maestro, this will need to be hooked up to the white connecter with the brown pair. Make sure the wire stripes match (br/ye to wh/ye and br/or to wh/or), Maestro had some shipped that were backwards. You can use a tooth pick to release the metal pin inside the connector to swap them, no need to cut and splice. I had to do this on mine. These are the CANBUS wires.
  • Didnt use the supplied OBDII connection, they said it may be needed but didnt need it on mine.
  • Removed the orange Illumination wire. This was causing my headunit to be exteremely dim, even with the brightness on the instrument panel turned up all the way.
  • Hooked the red wire on my Pioneer harness up to an aux 12volt switch to turn on the stereo with the ignition off. Had this in place with the old harness and it continues to work. Not sure if there will be any adverse effects from this but for now it works!

The wires I hooked up on the Maestro unit were:
  • Purple/White to Purple/White - reverse light
  • Yellow/Black to Yellow/Black - foot brake
  • Yellow to Yellow - 12V
  • Black to Black - Ground
  • Light Green to Light Green - E-Brake
  • Blue/White to Blue/White to Remote Amp Turn on Wire
*Since I have an aftermarket amp I left all the speaker leads detached.

The only problems I am seeing now is my Pioneer unit has disabled my Bluetooth settings, so I cant add or remove phones, Bluetooth still works though. And a few other options have been disabled but not important to me.
Quick update:
  • Delete the MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers from the parts and install list. This caused the Maestro to not work.
  • The 12volt switch to manually turn on and off the headunit hasnt caused any issues with the CANBUS system. This is awesome because I can play my stereo anytime. And with the Kicker amp being digital it is super efficient. I have done events with my stereo on for 8 to 10hours at full blast and barely put a dent in my battery (amp wired to an aux battery, H/U still on main battery)
  • The only mystery is that I still dont have the option to add or delete bluetooth devices. There are a few other options grayed out, but for now this isnt a problem.

post #97 of 99 Old 01-02-2017, 04:26 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestaudioguy View Post
Decided to visit Crutchfeld and now I'm more confused. They say that most of the stuff you show will not work on a 2014 PM.

Here is what they suggest.

You posted links to your shopping cart, not the product so all that shows up is your empty shopping cart.

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.
post #98 of 99 Old 01-02-2017, 04:28 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crane View Post
Quick update:
  • Delete the MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers from the parts and install list. This caused the Maestro to not work.
  • The 12volt switch to manually turn on and off the headunit hasnt caused any issues with the CANBUS system. This is awesome because I can play my stereo anytime. And with the Kicker amp being digital it is super efficient. I have done events with my stereo on for 8 to 10hours at full blast and barely put a dent in my battery (amp wired to an aux battery, H/U still on main battery)
  • The only mystery is that I still dont have the option to add or delete bluetooth devices. There are a few other options grayed out, but for now this isnt a problem.
Great info Andrew thanks for posting it do you have any photos?

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.
post #99 of 99 Old 01-02-2017, 05:29 PM
bestaudioguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
So sorry for the dead link.

Here is the link to the radio and if you look on the right side it shows it fits and then click on "See the installation gear you'll need"
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1307200...NEX.html?avf=Y

The install gear it shows to use are the ones people here say do NOT work. I was talking with the tech guys and they say the website is correct. I realize they could be wrong, which has happened in the past.

Thanks again

ClearCom, LLC Pro A/V
www.bestaudioguy.com
info@bestaudioguy.com
twitter - bestaudioguy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page