What do you fear, what do you desire, what gives you comfort? - Page 2 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #11 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 09:46 AM
PopeAng

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Desire: To be safe. As a single female I want to be able to go camping by myself (and with my dog), without worrying about having to pack everything up (cooler, tent, chairs, etc.) if I needed to get out of somewhere in the middle of the night, either because of creepers or due to weather. I want to be able to sleep with the doors locked.

Fear: My van having major mechanical issues that I would spend days, weeks, months trying to work with FCA. Any major accident insurance should cover most of the cost, and my build is mostly modular, so everything could easily come out and even if destroyed, there are definitely things I could improve upon (3/4 into my build I now have a table saw! I had to apologize to my helper for not getting one sooner). I have enough pictures to know where and how things go together and work. One of the benefits of building your own.

Comfort (mine): TBD. built more for function... I start my first trip tomorrow so this might change, but right now I think it might be accessible storage, and space. In the last 10 years, I have spent half of it the middle east living out of duffle bags. at times there were 6 people stuffed into containers as large as my van. I don't do well with lots of space, my house is quite cluttered, but having small spaces forces me to be neat and very organized. I think this van might be me subconsciously trying to get back to that small container feeling - only this time I get the container to myself and get to bring my dog with. Speaking of my dog...

Comfort (Island's - dog): I'd need A/C so I can travel with her. If we are outside in significant heat and humidity, she needs somewhere to cool off - I can stand the heat much better than she can. So I guess I put my dog's comfort before my own.

Last edited by PopeAng; 06-19-2017 at 01:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PopeAng For This Useful Post:
denpm (06-19-2017), medicineman4040 (06-20-2017), RDinNHandAZ (06-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 12:33 PM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Traveling alone was not on my radar when I was building. MrNomer is without question the wind beneath my wings--definitely a keeper. But I really enjoyed my solo trip back home to visit old friends (we would have bored him silly), so much that I will definitely do more solo travel. I just locked the doors and made sure the key was readily accessible. I figure I can be driving before anyone can complete a break-in. I also assume a break-in is highly unlikely. With the microwave, I always know I can cook without opening up.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-22-2017, 12:10 PM
GaryBIS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Hi,
After thinking about it for a while, I think my biggest fear was that we would spend $35K and a lot of time building an RV that we ended up using very little. This happens a lot -- sometimes after one trip

To us this meant building something that did not drive like a big RV, but more like a car. And, keeping the interior bright and airy with lots of open space. Comfortable beds also a must. Also good fuel economy.

We just got back from a month in the Yukon with the PM, and I'd be happy to take off in the PM again tomorrow -- its a pleasure to live in.

Gary

136 WB PM, high roof, 1500, gasser, 2014.
SW Montana
www.BuildAGreenRV.com

post #14 of 16 Old 06-22-2017, 03:44 PM
SteveSS

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBIS View Post
We just got back from a month in the Yukon with the PM.
Cool! Hope you made it out before mosquito season arrived. Where you there for that big northern lights display around the end of May? That's high on our PM bucket list. We have no fear of not using our PM-RV enough. Actually, just the opposite.

SteveSS
2017 3500 159 EXT gas, silver metallic. Ordered 01/20/17, built 03/31/17, delivered 05/08/17 Shiny's build thread
post #15 of 16 Old 06-22-2017, 04:05 PM
GaryBIS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSS View Post
Cool! Hope you made it out before mosquito season arrived. Where you there for that big northern lights display around the end of May? That's high on our PM bucket list. We have no fear of not using our PM-RV enough. Actually, just the opposite.
Bugs were not bad at all. I brought a bunch of stuff to combat mosquitoes, but it went unused.

I guess we missed the northern lights display, but it seemed like the days were near 24 hours of light, so would have been hard to see them where we were -- we did get a few miles north of the Arctic Circle on the Dempster.
What a beautiful place -- will post some pictures.

Gary

136 WB PM, high roof, 1500, gasser, 2014.
SW Montana
www.BuildAGreenRV.com
post #16 of 16 Old Today, 12:20 AM
medicineman4040

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBIS View Post
Bugs were not bad at all. I brought a bunch of stuff to combat mosquitoes, but it went unused.

I guess we missed the northern lights display, but it seemed like the days were near 24 hours of light, so would have been hard to see them where we were -- we did get a few miles north of the Arctic Circle on the Dempster.
What a beautiful place -- will post some pictures.

Gary
Really looking forward to your pics from this trip. Where will you post them?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page