post #41 of 50 Old 04-28-2017, 06:14 AM
ShaunB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSS View Post
Anybody have experience with the tire-support model(s)? Do they foul the back door?
I have a Kuat 4 bike tray style rack. I used it for the first time recently and it does block the opening of the rear doors even with the bikes removed. I might get an a adaptor that fits into the hitch receiver and "steps down" the height. Although I worry this will make my extended van that much longer.

Shaun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3432.JPG (122.4 KB, 37 views)

2016 3500 Ext. Diesel, Black - My Daily Driver on it's way to becoming an adventure van. Follow my build on Instagram @shaunbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 Old 04-28-2017, 09:46 AM
emat

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
I have a Kuat 4 bike tray style rack. I used it for the first time recently and it does block the opening of the rear doors even with the bikes removed. I might get an a adaptor that fits into the hitch receiver and "steps down" the height. Although I worry this will make my extended van that much longer.

Shaun
That rack makes for one long van! Do you ever have any issues with the rack striking the ground with it extending so far behind the rear axle? Beautiful bike btw.
post #43 of 50 Old 04-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Crosley623

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the Yakima rack and it really sucks that it blocks the rear doors even without bikes on it. I know the 1UP single bike rack still allows use of the doors, not sure on the double. I've also thought of fabricating a step down for my Yakima rack, but worry about it dragging when on dirt roads getting to camp.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

post #44 of 50 Old 05-01-2017, 03:51 PM
mreeves333

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Following User Says Thank You to mreeves333 For This Useful Post:
PopeAng (05-01-2017)
post #45 of 50 Old 05-01-2017, 04:38 PM
ShaunB

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emat View Post
That rack makes for one long van! Do you ever have any issues with the rack striking the ground with it extending so far behind the rear axle? Beautiful bike btw.
I have only used the rack a few times. No issues with it scraping the ground as it sits very high, hence the blockage of the rear doors. Even on my old X1 it never scraped. I did end up picking up a 6" drop down adapter that I've fitted but haven't used yet. It does allow the rear doors to open without bikes, but it also extends the rack another ~8" further back, making it even longer. I plan to drill out a hole (for the safety pin) in the adapter that will allow it to be fully inserted thereby shortening the extension by a couple of inches. I will post pics soon. Here is the link https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...on/A-p8527632e to the adaptor from a Canadian company (Princess Auto - our version of harbor freight). Thanks for the bike compliment. It's my gravel bike that I built with Chinese sourced frame and ultegra di2. It's a sweet ride that can handle single track too.

Shaun

2016 3500 Ext. Diesel, Black - My Daily Driver on it's way to becoming an adventure van. Follow my build on Instagram @shaunbike
The Following User Says Thank You to ShaunB For This Useful Post:
emat (06-18-2017)
post #46 of 50 Old 06-18-2017, 08:24 PM
mwsheets

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Recon Rack

Take a look at Recon Racks. http://recon-racks.com/

I have one of the originals and it's still holding up strong after two years abuse. His newer ones are even nicer. He has the specs so that you can lay the rack down, drop the rear tire bar and fully open both back doors. You can even leave two bikes hanging and still fully open the doors if you do it right. Fits kids bikes, 26", 27.5", and 29" plus I think it works with the fatties too. The bike is totally suspended by your rubber on your tires. No marks on the frame. Also comes with a bottle opener and can buy some bag hooks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5208.jpg (460.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4788.jpg (285.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5290.jpg (307.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4315.jpg (353.1 KB, 33 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to mwsheets For This Useful Post:
emat (06-18-2017)
post #47 of 50 Old 06-19-2017, 10:51 AM
fanqwest

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I too have a Rak Attatch and it is awsome.You can get a left or right swing and it is built very well in Park City Utah.Does not add much length to the van.Not cheap either but worth the price
post #48 of 50 Old 06-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Morris

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
There's a great rack solution that will use any Thule rack, are Yacama rack 2 bike 3 bike with a kit that has pump vacuum cups each cup holds 250 lb onto your rear door so you can still swing them open . surfrcksmbc.com these racks go on an off your vehicle in less than two minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0045.jpg (114.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.jpg (104.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0593.jpg (123.0 KB, 22 views)
post #49 of 50 Old 06-20-2017, 09:36 PM
dnelsonid

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ahh, the great bike rack dilemma and rack maker wallet shake down. Our struggle started with numbers. We are 5 deep in a 159. I also can't stomach throwing $1000 at a less than perfect answer to the problem. The roll-out garage which was one of the high priorities on our build has since become overloaded with camping gear, firewood, etc., so a hitch mount was the next most obvious place for bikes. Alas, most racks max out at 4 bikes and require tetris master skill to load or reach back into the car behind when fully loaded. The companies that do make 4+ racks (Softride, North Shore, Recon and Lolo) fail at rear door access, merely folding down, negating the roll-out garage. So with the assistance of my new best friend, Tim of Tim's Job Shop, we ripped off a few of the aforementioned and in process created what I think is the perfect fix. The following images show the rack in its ready state, in pivot mode, fully swung, and laded. The swing arm was cut from an old yakima rack. Tim then welded the tree, added bar hooks from Lolo (Thanks!). In addition to the integrated double pivot, swing arm I had Tim make the rear wheel arms moveable to handle the difference in length between adult and kids bikes. A rack that carries our fleet upright and allows the rear door to open fully. Valhalla.
post #50 of 50 Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 PM
dnelsonid

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Images from above. Sorry for the technical difficulties. I find technical difficult.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unloaded.jpg (125.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg pivotx2.jpg (163.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Loaded for Air.jpg (100.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0902 (480x360) (480x360).jpg (149.2 KB, 15 views)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page