Measurments for roof rack mounts. - Page 4 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #31 of 40 Old 12-19-2015, 05:07 PM
Sostrows

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Got a roof rail from Fiamma USA out of Orlando. I had to be put in a container and shipped from Italy, as they had none in stock. It was about $800, its about $550 in the UK - but its only way I could get one, so I just paid.

Easy setup. I ended up having the rear section farther back (back edge in line with start of upper red tail lights) as I wanted to be able to get a better angle if I tied anything to it and avoid the top edge of the van. With that, I ended up cutting 17" off the front sections (I have a 136WB HR), if you line up the rear bar with the mounts, you might have to cut about ~20". Dry fit it for look and Google the Travato and Ducato setups online for some ideas and preference.

Tools:
10mm open wrench
Rachet screwdriver with a #2 phillips tip (self tap screws) and a T25 tip (horizontal bars)
Lap sealant
Measuring tape
Hacksaw w/mitre box

Mounting tips:
-I put on the mounts first, worked well and used some lapsealant on the inner contact area (install said to used Sika). The outer contact comes with some nice rubber 3M pads - not sure why they just did not provide thinner pads for the inner contact surface of each mount). This was easy, you need a 10mm open wrench.
- I climbed on the roof to put the rails on, was safer to me than the ladder
- You can do the self tapping screws by hand, but just need a good 50lb of muscle force. Otherwise tiny pilot holes would work.
- I started with the back rail, measured the distance on each side then locked it in with the self tappers into the rear mounts.
- Then be sure to put in your brass square backing nuts that go in the rail before you connect rail into the center mount.
- I put 2 of the horizontal bars in the back half, and the other 2 in the front half (as seen from the center mounts). I was able to avoid my flexible solar panel that's 3M velcro'd to the roof and the MaxxAir fan.
- You might have to use a come along or strap to pull together the rails in the front about 1/2" so you can thread the screws for the forward most horizontal bar. I was able to get mine after doing in the middle horizontal bars.
- Don't super gorilla the screws or you will strip out the soft aluminum, plus you might have to move bars later.

Hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 04-05-2016, 07:22 PM
ktfom

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am purchase a 2015 V2 travato which has another awning and wondering if the Fiamma will be compatible?
post #33 of 40 Old 01-01-2017, 08:43 AM
Phranc

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Vantech Roof Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponvaning View Post
I found that also! It woud be nice if we could just buy the roof mount parts #45 & 46 if I recall, then fabricate the rest up out of aluminum to hold the solar panels on.

Please let us know what you find out from your call to them.
I'm in the process of designing a DIY awning similar to the ARB awnings at ARBUSA.com... I came acroos this thread and was unable to follow the link provided by Sleepywheel. After several minutes, I was able to locate the Vantech page for H45-46 parts and placed an order. I received my roof mounts yesterday and am very hapy with their construction and strength... at $25 per mount, they are a little spendy, but they aren't Fiamma expensive.

Here's the info...
http://vantech.us/Promaster-Adaptor-...?categoryId=-1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1285.jpg (120.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1286.jpg (105.9 KB, 61 views)

Best,
Phranc

2014 3500 Ext Gas; converting to camper www.vancave.wordpress.com

Last edited by Phranc; 01-01-2017 at 04:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phranc For This Useful Post:
Craig Wilson (02-08-2017)

post #34 of 40 Old 01-01-2017, 12:53 PM
KNDLKSTMS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Happy New Year ! Are those brackets sold each or the set ? Pricey each but Vantech stuff is nice . I've used their stuff before , very versatile .
Thank you, Ken
post #35 of 40 Old 01-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Zoomyn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Nice mounts but they are not perfect, I had a sneaky suspicion about the ones I'd left on a few months so pulled all 4 off and found they held water, had cut paint and rusted up pretty fast. I'd hate to see them after a winter of ice-melt chemicals.

The fronts, pictured here, nearest the windshield held the most water as the windshield slope deflects the air stream over them at highway speeds so they don't get scoured dry while driving. These were also subject to full sun all summer, photo was August 17th, so it's not like they were in shade and never had baked to 125°F to flash dry.

I'm not sure how to best protect the steel tang catchment up there, maybe grease it up with some lithium based grease when assembling the tang/slot mount lock - I was thinking leaving mounts up with custom crossbars for 500 or 700 watts of PV solar panels so it'd be a year or two or three year duty period before inspection R&R (hopefully) and I see they are either not weather tight enough or too weather tight so infiltrated water never dries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PM_rack_mount.jpg (56.3 KB, 71 views)

2014 Diesel 2500 window wagon
11 June 2015 delivery
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoomyn For This Useful Post:
Craig Wilson (02-08-2017), Phranc (01-01-2017)
post #36 of 40 Old 01-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Phranc

Each bracket consists of two pieces... the under carriage and the top piece... the two piece bracket costs $25 per mount... so a typical roof rack with 4 contact points would cost $100

Best,
Phranc

post #37 of 40 Old 01-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Phranc

Zoomyn,
Thanks for the follow-up... I wondered if the base plate would collect water and dirt. I may use some heavy rubber gasket material on each long side and leave a forward and aft drainage hole to improve drying.

Best,
Phranc

KNDLKSTMS (01-02-2017)
post #38 of 40 Old 01-02-2017, 12:41 AM
KNDLKSTMS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
WOW , could be a big prob in the long run. Maybe drain notches below and a gasket over the slotted holes on top ?
post #39 of 40 Old 01-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Zoomyn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Just noting those are easy things to install and forget until the paint has gotten undercut from creeping corrosion and brown rust roses appear...

I'm pretty sure the clearances are such that no extra fitment of gaskets and/or no modification to supplied pieces should be done, the vinyl shoes supplied should last many years as the clamping force is spread out across 10~ linear inches.

A good silicone gel on the "T" stud and the intercepting bracket, like what is used as dielectric compound on spark plugs, and cleaning and waxing the pad area start/end of summer. Outboard motor lower-end or propeller shaft grease would be good also IF it didn't soften/react with the base piece vinyl edging compound.

2014 Diesel 2500 window wagon
11 June 2015 delivery
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomyn For This Useful Post:
KNDLKSTMS (03-05-2017)
post #40 of 40 Old 01-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Phranc

Vantech Roof Mounts

Zoomyn,
Thanks for highlighting the potential issue with the Vantech roof mounts.

I don't think there is a way to seal the mount to keep the water out... I think the best approach is to let the water drain. I first planned to raise the footing up with gasket material but realized it would likely move over time unless it was attached to the footing. While walking through Lowes, I spied some thick walled rubber fuel hose that looked about right. I sliced the hose length-wise and slipped the hose onto the long edge of the Vantech mount. It raises the foot about 1/8" so water can drain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1299.jpg (191.4 KB, 62 views)

Best,
Phranc

Craig Wilson (02-08-2017)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page