post #61 of 63 Old 05-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Desmo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crane View Post
Not sure if this issue has been posted about before....

I have recently learned a valuable lesson about changing the oil in our Promasters. The oil change I recently received from my dealer, went terribly wrong! It seems the cartridge filter is a big problem for Chrysler, specifically the o-ring. The o-ring, if not properly seated can pinch, which causes your oil to spew out. I made it about 30 mins from my dealer and my engine started to smoke, oil light came on and so did the check engine light, dip stick didn't have any oil on it. The tech had to do a roadside oil change on the interstate, which was super sketchy! Luckily I pulled over fast enough and no harm was caused.

I usually change my own oil, and have done 1 on my Promaster. It was a good lesson that I learned at someone else's cost. So be careful when doing your own oil change, I know I will pay more attention to this when I do my own oil change next time.

FYI - The tech told me they have had problems with Jeeps and other Chrysler vehicles that have this cartridge setup.
Many new vehicles including motorcycles use cartridge oil filters today and all of them have some housing with o-rings to seal it. You suppose to oil the o-ring before it gets seated so it does not "deform" and leaks. Also, read the manual on how to tighten the oil cartridge housing. It is very unlikely to require any wrenches to tighten it; most likely too much torque and will damage the o-ring. Most of the manuals will give you some tightening/torque specs. like "quarter turn after filter housing touches the housing" etc. Always, start the vehicle after an oil change and let it warm up. If there are any issues with the oil gasket(s), filter and drain plug, you will see them.

I hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Desmo For This Useful Post:
medicineman4040 (05-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 05-10-2017, 11:26 PM
Rich Maund

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
O rings aren't rocket science. Apply a bit of silicone grease to it and make sure to position it properly with no twists in it. Then ease the cap back into place and thread it on gently. That will avoid pinching.

The senior member formerly known as Sidecarnutz.
post #63 of 63 Old 05-12-2017, 12:23 PM
jessysautoshop

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am doing my own every 8 k miles

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page