Ram Promaster Forum banner

You Know How Some Folks Complain About Our Locks?

13K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  keeponvaning 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#24 ·
my van is a 2014. when the doors are locked, which i do when im sleeping inside the only doors that will not open from the inside are the rear doors. I have to unlock them first, but the sliding and front doors open no problem. If i had major concern for items inside i would get more secure locks. A rock or hammer dose make short work of getting in front doors, i wonder if anyone makes a lexan or similar replacement that is more break resistant?

#8 · (Edited)
MS,

On mine, the doors don't open on the first pull if locked... but they do open on the second pull.

(looking forward to a discussion on the ATT Connected Car offer.... major frustration... next time we see you!)

ps.

Just my opinion, but a lesson on how to break into our vans is not a great subject for the forum

#9 ·
Here in the Indy metro area, they look in and if they see something they like, they check to see if the door is unlock, if not they break the glass. Nothing fancy.

#10 ·
I've deleted a thread about this video several weeks ago but it seems to have a life of it's own. What does everyone think about posting this video? Personally I'm ready to delete it again - are there any objections?

KOV

#15 · (Edited)
Exactly, I didn't even know this was a thing. I mean a rock works just as well, but if you delete the video again then others wouldn't know this is a thing either. Please don't delete it.

One doesn't come up with solutions by ignoring the issues. Like "K" said, there are a lot of ingenious people in this forum (based on the various builds) and solution or counter measure is right around the corner. The video is on you tube and a quick search of "how to ..." brings the video right up to the top. This thread isn't even on the first page of results. I didn't want to make it on the first page by completing that sentence.

If you delete this thread it won't do anything for the problem....but by deleting it you are making the decision for others that this is not important or relevant to them. Thank you for asking for others opinions before deleting; not many forums do that.

#18 ·
Maybe it's a freedom of speech kinda thing . . . but we're not in favor of censoring relevant information.

#20 ·
Lots of good reason both ways so far. I'm starting to believe it might be more constructive to leave it up as a warning to members and to get suggestions on how to defeat this "tool". I doubt the typical "thief" is going to read this forum to find this info out and it is on uTube. I still say it's easier and quicker to break the glass to get in and a thief can always use the hammer as a weapon ;)

#22 ·
Lots of good reason both ways so far...
I agree but I figure the less places the info is available the better. The businessmen and women who use a Promaster might be concerned, as would the USPS. IMHO it shouldn't be on Youtube either.

I'm not worried about the casual crooks - it's the smart guys that may find the info interesting.

If I find out how to hack the computer in a Promaster to take over the accelerator via Wifi, should it be posted here? Hmmmm.

Tough call!

#23 ·
Reluctantly I think it's better to make Promaster owners aware of this. Real crooks know where to go to get the tools they need (and it ain't here).

Let's face it - uTube is the video equivalent of Google (probably why they bought it). If you want to see how to do something you go to uTube.

#26 ·
Hi All,

My 2 cents;

I like to be made aware of any security issues, but just aware enough to take a countermeasure. In my case it just so happens that I have installed a handle on the column that would probably interfere with the break-in that is depicted in the video.

My experience is that smash and grab is the highest probably of security breach, and that is the hardest thing to deter. I have been robbed by someone using this technique (in another vehicle) and it changed my way of handling my valuables.

Mike

#31 ·
Actually the trick shown in this video isn't particularly simple. My slider wouldn't open today even though the doors were supposedly unlocked with the key fob. I opened the passenger side front door and reach back to push the lever back and open the door and it was very difficult to move. After a lot of pressure on it it did open (only needed to be pushed back once) but I don't think using a fancy nancy tool to spring it from the outside is very practical. We know it can be done because we saw the video but why prep or other tricks might they have used? Let's not forget they are in the lockout tool business and just want to sell these tools. I'm not worried about anyone actually buying one and then using it!

#32 ·
I see that the interior handle on the Promaster is held on by a bolt. Can it be repostioned clockwise by 90 degrees? From what I see in the video that would allow to still be used, but would make the break in tool shown useless.

#34 ·
Either i was lucky or the little lights ( bat-doc , voltmeter) and the crib deployed was a deterrent on my last stealth campout in SF . The Jeep Wrangler in front of me had the rear window blown out and the contents strewn about. Next day I had a hard time finding a place to park that didn't have window glass all over the sidewalks . You can get little blinking led's to fake an alarm .
Needless to say, won't be going there again .

#36 ·
Deterring smash and grab will take care of 98% of the potential thieves. I have decided to do the security film on our windows, but haven't had it done yet. We also have a floor safe for laptops, wallets, passports, etc.

Any time we aren't in the van and can't see it we religiously put up all our window covers.. doesn't allow potential thief to see in and introduces doubt as to whether or not we are still inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.