User Tag List

post #1 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
doobie_stooba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New owner here - Show me your mileage!

I recently purchased a 2015 Promaster EcoDiesel with ~36k miles on it.

So far I absolutely love it! Gets great gas mileage, drives nice, and the diesel pulls good... but I have read the horror stories! I've read some of the problems users on this very forum experienced and as a result, I nearly didn't buy it. But I got a fair deal and took the risk (got the extended warranty just in case).

Anyway, I want to know that not all these promasters had issues. Is there anyone out there with a positive experience? Who has the most miles and what, if any, issues did you experience along the way?

I can say that my experience so far has been very positive-
Our first weekend with it we took it for a few hundred mile road trip with a couple mountain passes and it did beautifully! Nearly 27mpg with two full sized dual sport bikes in the back (~500lbs/ea). To top it off, I helped a buddy flat tow his small SUV across town (yes, still with bikes in back) and I could barely tell I was towing anything! This thing has low-end torque for days! I just hope it lasts 200k more miles without major repair costs or leaving me stranded anywhere. Im about to build this thing into a camper and live out of it. Can't be breaking down in Baja or Alaska!

Please tell me there are some good anecdotes out there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 01:55 AM
charity's van

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have not met or talked to anyone with 100k miles or more on the diesel that has not had to replace the transmission. I have only 1 friend with 200k on his diesel, he replaced the trans and now has injector issue and head issues because of it. Im at 155k miles with 30k on my new trans. I have just replaced the cv axles and ball joints; there is still some front end issues that cause the van to drift and handle poorly. I have not found anyone that put 100k on a replacement trans to know if the new/revised ones hold up any better than the original. The van is very likeable the reliability is not.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 07:20 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Garage
Charty’s Van, I hope you are seeing unusual issues. I will say your experience is valued, we just don’t hear from high mileage vans often.
I have 35K on mine with nary an issue. Time will tell I suppose, but I don’t expect any problems as a search of the UK internet show a very few issues and folks don’t report non issues.
There were several high mileage Comfort-matic equipped motorhomes with upwards of 260K miles on them with no issues. Yes they did say miles not km, odd? They do say the AMT is the same transmission as the van with a clutch and that is very reliable. Most “expert” forum responders say wiring and external issues with the hydraulics are responsible when there are issues and overheating(?) not the transmission itself. Unfortunately when issues arise it seems to indicate removal of the transmission a 9 hour job rating. Later the solved cases would not have necessitate that work. Chaffing wires was the mot common defect as far as I can see. There were just not that many issues and that transmission has been used there since 2000 at least and used in their largest motorhomes. I could not determine if we have the exact same system however.
Those Brits sure are polite about it though!

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic happy with the owner conversion. See: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel

post #4 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 03:58 AM
charity's van

RD, i challange you to find me 1 owner in the usa with a diesel promaster over 100k miles that has not experienced the trans problems that i and all the others i have met encountered. All the others i spoke to also had the same to say about FCA customer service: it was common knowledge that we are mounting up miles quick, the problem seems to never be able to duplicate for the techs until the warranty was up or very close to the end. FCA would pay for this as a goodwill repair but not in any kinda timely manner. They would throw the less expensive parts at it , until they had no other choice but to repair the van. Average time about 3 months. Mine took 10 months at the shop but 15 months from 1st time i took it in for trans issues. You and many others here on this site may never get to the 155k miles that i currently have on charity's van. I did not have a problem until 58k miles, others i spoke to had problems appear much later. One fellow had his 1st issue at 98k miles, another at over 110k. I had hoped to have talked to someone that has put over 100k on the replacement just to find out if the new trans holds up. There is lots to like about these vans, this being my 5th diesel van and 9th diesel total. I have well over 1.2m miles on vans & pick ups. This one has been the most expensive to repair and most unreliable; but im spoiled most have been 7.3 fords.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 08:39 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Garage
Since Europe doesn’t count for you I expect you will know first as https://www.expeditersonline.com/for...r.68413/page-4 has the high mileage vans, and I don’t monitor that site. I hope you have better luck on this 2nd tranny!

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic happy with the owner conversion. See: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel

Last edited by RDinNHandAZ; 06-18-2017 at 08:42 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 08:58 AM
Chance

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDinNHandAZ View Post
Charty’s Van, I hope you are seeing unusual issues. I will say your experience is valued, we just don’t hear from high mileage vans often.
I have 35K on mine with nary an issue. Time will tell I suppose, but I don’t expect any problems as a search of the UK internet show a very few issues and folks don’t report non issues.
There were several high mileage Comfort-matic equipped motorhomes with upwards of 260K miles on them with no issues. Yes they did say miles not km, odd? They do say the AMT is the same transmission as the van with a clutch and that is very reliable. Most “expert” forum responders say wiring and external issues with the hydraulics are responsible when there are issues and overheating(?) not the transmission itself. Unfortunately when issues arise it seems to indicate removal of the transmission a 9 hour job rating. Later the solved cases would not have necessitate that work. Chaffing wires was the mot common defect as far as I can see. There were just not that many issues and that transmission has been used there since 2000 at least and used in their largest motorhomes. I could not determine if we have the exact same system however.
Those Brits sure are polite about it though!
A distinction without a difference for most owners I'd expect.

I seriously doubt the average person cares much about what the failure mode is; they mostly care about the bottom line -- results. As in whether it runs or doesn't run. How long is it in shop, cost to repair, did it leave me stranded, etc... are more important than whether the transmission fails because a gear can't take the torque versus an actuator not working.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 12:32 PM
BillMac

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
70k on my 16 136LR, no issues of concern (this one is the FCA replacement van). Plenty of the miles in town and ridiculous Portland OR traffic, no AMT issues there. Highway mileage is 23 avg, but I tend to drive a bit fast when in back roads and faster on I-5. Had one check engine light at around 30k, low turbo boost signal that was cleared and never reoccurred. Occurred on a back mountain road, steep hill then light throttle back up the other side. Likely a programming issue where I drive different then those who did the programming.

d_s, you have a 2015 as did I originally. My 15 had issues and was replaced by FCA, outside of the original issue all the failures were truly from inept dealer service. Regardless and while it did take time I worked thru FCA customer service and not only was my van replaced I received compensation for payments while it was down. Then the replacement came with my choice of additional options and a 100k warranty at no cost to me. I would not be concerned one bit about the 2015 you purchased, any early issues should have been handled and most were programming updates. You can have this checked at and dealer in the service history. While others have had some issues and reported it in the forum this forum only represents a small % of PM owners. Sure I had issues to start, but it was resolved and handled by FCA well. My only recommendation for PM Diesel owners is find a very good dealer service Dept, that way any problems that do arise are handle correctly the first time.

1st PM 2015 118" Diesel-Bought 4/15 Got sick 5/15 1400 miles returned to FCA 10/15
2nd one 2016 136" LR Diesel 10/15 let the project begin
post #8 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 02:37 PM
charity's van

As far as using any brand of newer van for expediting/high miler most do not hold up well. My diesel promaster has had trans issues that took too long to repair, but other than that: the fuel mileage has been good and most other items have held up. I have a friend with almost 300k on his gas promaster with hardly any issues, i just dont see me giving that much of my income to the gas station though. he gets about 17 mpg v my 23.8 mpg. But he was still working while mine was down.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 AM
VanDiesel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
BillMac
Can you recommend a good dealer in Portland? I travel through there at least twice a month and it would be great to have one there I could trust.

2016, 136in. 2500 HT Diesel White
post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 10:36 PM
BillMac

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
VanD, I can saynwhere not to go...lol. Ram service rep at one time suggested I pull my van from Hannah where the issues occurred and take it to Dick's out in Hillsboro. I never did, chose instead to work with Hannah and they did eventually fix my original PM. Only other dealer I've used was in Hermiston, no issues there and they had a tech who was well trained on the PM Diesels.

1st PM 2015 118" Diesel-Bought 4/15 Got sick 5/15 1400 miles returned to FCA 10/15
2nd one 2016 136" LR Diesel 10/15 let the project begin
The Following User Says Thank You to BillMac For This Useful Post:
VanDiesel (06-19-2017)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page