User Tag List

post #1 of 44 Old 02-18-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Quest4Adv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I guess I'm going to have a build thread...

I need some place to bounce some of my crazy ideas off you great folks

I'm building my 2015 136" HT Diesel up for camping and my daily driver (I work from home so I don't drive that much).

I bought the diesel for the awesome MPG it gets, even though I don't drive that much. I got a good deal on last years model and not really worried about payback time.

I plan on adding a short queen size bed,(already bought a 10" memory foam mattress) I really need a good nights sleep and I'm getting too old to sleep on the ground

I have a 62 liter 12v refrigerator/freeze combo we'll be using.
Amazon Amazon
Although I got mine from Home Depot with free shipping for $500. I've only had a chance to use it once, but loving it so far.

I'll add more details later

Thanks

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then... Bob Seger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 02-18-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Quest4Adv

Garage
(Thread Starter)
This is the mattress I bought from Amazon for the bed. Seems to be pretty comfortable, We have it laying out in a spare bedroom right now.
Amazon Amazon

I've only had the van in my possession for 10 out of the first 33 days I've owned it so I haven't got much done on it. I bought it the week before we had a camping trip planned with some friends so I scrambled to put down a floor.

I laid 1/2" R-Max PolyIso down, rough cut for the time being, and then a layer of 3/8" A/C exterior grade plywood over that. No cutting and fitting was done, I just cut one piece from side to side and another piece to cover most of the back. I bought a cheap outdoor carpet at Lowes and that was good enough for the weekend. The plan is to re-do the floor with some more accurate cuts, fasten the plywood down using the cargo tie-down holes with longer bolts, then a bamboo strip flooring over that to finish it off.

I have another camping trip coming up next weekend so I needed something quick for a bed. No more air mattress deflating in the night . I built two boxes out of 3/4" birch ply and will lay two 3/4" ply down for the bed platform. They will be ripped down to equal size piece with the joint in the middle to accommodate the 60" width of the mattress. A stop of 1 x 3 hardwood will go across the front to prevent the mattress from sliding forward.

This design left a lot of room underneath the bed for storage of my Rubbermaid Action Packer boxes and other loose items. The dimensions are rough because I didn't have my PM to pull actual measurements from.

I will fasten the top to the boxes with "L" brackets and whatever else I can come up with. I have some ideas for some quick removable clamp type devices, but I need to get it together to see if it will work.

I also purchased 30' of Thinsulate from Hein and will use that on the walls and doors. The ceiling will be done with more R-Max product. I already applied some sound damping Butyl material on each of the bare panels.

The Following User Says Thank You to Quest4Adv For This Useful Post:
SewerRatz (02-18-2016)
post #3 of 44 Old 02-18-2016, 07:28 PM
SewerRatz

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Looks good, please share some inside pictures with us.

Ron H
2015 159" Diesel 2500
The Following User Says Thank You to SewerRatz For This Useful Post:
Quest4Adv (02-19-2016)

post #4 of 44 Old 02-20-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Quest4Adv

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Taking advantage of this beautiful day in North Florida to get some work done. We have a camping trip planned for this coming weekend in the Okeefenokee Swamp in GA. I need to get some stuff done...

Flooring.

I went with a layer of thin foam laminate underlayment as the base layer. I'm hoping this will prevent any squeaking of the R-Max that makes up the next layer. 1/2" R-max laid down and floating, then a layer of 3/8" A/C exterior plywood. This will have to suffice until we get time to put down the 3/8" bamboo flooring my fiancee' has picked out. I will use the cargo tie down's to whole floor with some longer bolts ( Need to find them).

Even though I made a template for the front piece of ply, it still took some eyeing and guessing to make it fit close. I'm impatience I guess I'll take more time with the bamboo and make it look nice including trimming out the edges of the doors with something.

Well, back to the van and let's see how much insulation I can get up today before I run out of steam...

SewerRatz (02-20-2016)
post #5 of 44 Old 02-20-2016, 02:15 PM
proeddie

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Quest,

I just took a break from working on the van myself! 65 degrees in CT today. I just can't let today go to waste..... couple of Motrin and I'm back out there!

Consider getting some high strength stainless steel bolts. I would hold the floor down, plus use 'em for the original hold downs in case you need them.

Expensive locally but lots of options on eBay. I've found most of the harder to find hardware (nuts, bolts, screws, fancy washers) on de'Bay and the prices have been much better than my local sources!

Ed

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan
The Following User Says Thank You to proeddie For This Useful Post:
Quest4Adv (02-20-2016)
post #6 of 44 Old 02-20-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Quest4Adv

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeddie View Post
Quest,

I just took a break from working on the van myself! 65 degrees in CT today. I just can't let today go to waste..... couple of Motrin and I'm back out there!

Consider getting some high strength stainless steel bolts. I would hold the floor down, plus use 'em for the original hold downs in case you need them.

Expensive locally but lots of options on eBay. I've found most of the harder to find hardware (nuts, bolts, screws, fancy washers) on de'Bay and the prices have been much better than my local sources!

Ed
Gotta love this kind of weather, although to tell the truth, I was sweating bullets for most of the day. I'm beat now

Thanks for the Ebay tip. I found just what I needed.

post #7 of 44 Old 02-20-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Quest4Adv

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I got quite a bit done today if I don't say so myself...

Popped the lower panels off the rear doors and insulated with Thinslate including where the window will be eventually and above.

Got most of the roof insulated with 1" R-Max. I used 3M 90 spray, I hope I don't regret not using Great Stuff, but I didn't have the pro gun and based on past experiences I agree with the comments on using the cans.
I left off the front section until I get my Maxxair.

Was able to get one corner insulated with Thinsulate, I was running out of steam at this point... I really like this stuff, it's easy to work with and looks good for now!

I got tired of insulating, so I took a break and pulled the black plastic trim piece from the driver's rear corner. I had purchased this
Amazon Amazon
volt/USB outlet to install back there and if fit perfectly. I'll wire it up during the week. I wanted to have a place to charge phones while we're in bed.

Now, a question for your gurus. Do I have the Upfitter connection? I pulled the trim off the passenger side B pillar to check out where to mount the grab handle and found this:

Looks like two 40 amp fuses and a relay. The upfitter connection is not listed on my window sticker so I'm wondering now.

Time for a shower now

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quest4Adv For This Useful Post:
Hein (02-20-2016), SewerRatz (02-21-2016)
post #8 of 44 Old 02-20-2016, 05:31 PM
seapro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
For longer cargo hold down bolts. I took one to Home Depot and found longer ones with the matching metric thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to seapro For This Useful Post:
Quest4Adv (02-20-2016)
post #9 of 44 Old 02-21-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Quest4Adv

Garage
(Thread Starter)
More fun today, sweating in the 70+º day. With the sun being out in full force I thought I'd have some fun with my IR thermometer.

Bare roof:

1" R-Max

HUGE difference!

Let's hit the crossmember and see what that air space does:

Outside temp up high..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...8Medium%29.jpg

Ok, enough playing around... I finished up the insulation for now, still need to decide which windows I'm going to put in and see how that works out.

Started on temp wiring. I used a Bluesea Fuse box I had laying around. I have an AC/DC panel on order, but that will go in later when I get the inverter/Charger and house battery ready to go.

I ran wires for two overhead lights, the Maxxair fan, the rear 12 volt / USB outlet, and the fridge today. The fridge is going (For now) just inside the sliding door as far back as it will fit next to the bed. I utilized a black plastic cover in the channel and mounted a 12 v lighter outlet. Ran 10 gauge up and over the roof to the fuse panel. Just need to hook everything up now.

SewerRatz (02-21-2016)
post #10 of 44 Old 02-23-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Quest4Adv

Garage
(Thread Starter)
A bed is born...