RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Coffee on the road!

What do those of you who camp and drink coffee do to have a quality brew, winter and summer in your van while camping? For fear of sounding like I have the answer let me say I have tried about everything and have come down to.... (wait for it.....) INSTANT! I am so ashamed. However it isn’t ANY instant but is that Starbucks Via, french roast bought from Wally World or Target with coupons or on sale averaging $5/8 pks. It goes in the bottom of our Stanley drip-proof insulated coffee “mugs” https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Class...%2Bcoffee&th=1 Hers is blue mine is classic green.
Here is the process, I half fill my stainless percolator base with water, drop the end of my instant read dial cooking thermometer in the spout, light the burner on the cheapo butane stove, go put my underware on (oops did I say that out loud?) and get out two via packs, one goes in each mug. By now the water is about 180º as that stove is a HOT item, and fill the mugs, (cow juice in hers) put the lids on, and now for the hard part. gently swish the mug, open the spout, swish a bit more, open the spout, then invert the mug over the sink. Why? The drinking spout is so waterproof that the heating of the air and interior of the mug can blow off the lid if you invert the mug without releasing the pressure! I love those mugs but it can happen! BTW the bit of extra hot water goes in the little dish pan with a bit of cold to wash up- first class treatment!
Then we have about 12-14 oz of pretty good coffee that stays hot for hours, or its gone. They fit all the cup holders too. If we are hiking we can return in 2 or three hours and still have nice warm remains, if we are driving that day we may pull in to MickyDees for a fillup, bathroom and internet, perhaps a sausage McD on occasion (now I have admitted everything!) What do you do?

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel

Last edited by RDinNHandAZ; 01-03-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-03-2017, 11:48 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Just wondering, do you ever go into MickeyD's in your underwear to surf? You can usually find a Sr. coffee at Mickey's for under a $ plus many offer any size to anyone any time for a $ and their coffee is as good as any fancy, hifullutin' joint as far as I'm concerned (and I've been known to roast more than a few beans on my own).

I use a French press from IKEA myself, if no Mickey's is nearby. The grinds are a real pita to clean out of the French press tho so I just picked up a small 4 cup (actually 2 cup) drip (at the dump, of course) so I can just throw the grinds out with the filter.

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.

Last edited by keeponvaning; 01-03-2017 at 11:54 AM.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-03-2017, 12:26 PM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
MrNomer pours an instant tube of Taster's Choice Columbian into his Yeti, adds hot water from the water boiler, done. I crack open a cold Mountain Dew.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-03-2017, 02:26 PM
KilWerBzz

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Yes MCD,HD,LOW,TGT,WMT,SBUX I also use a 4cup and surf from the comfort of my van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponvaning View Post
Just wondering, do you ever go into MickeyD's in your underwear to surf? You can usually find a Sr. coffee at Mickey's for under a $ plus many offer any size to anyone any time for a $ and their coffee is as good as any fancy, hifullutin' joint as far as I'm concerned (and I've been known to roast more than a few beans on my own).

I use a French press from IKEA myself, if no Mickey's is nearby. The grinds are a real pita to clean out of the French press tho so I just picked up a small 4 cup (actually 2 cup) drip (at the dump, of course) so I can just throw the grinds out with the filter.

2014 Ram Promaster 2500 HR 159" Diesel
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ram/promas...lWerBzz/364918
post #5 of 21 Old 01-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Chance

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
At campgrounds with power we each have two cups from a single-serve Keurig. I prefer most any French Roast and she prefers Dunkin Donut or similar. We like this because it's fast and doesn't make much of a mess to clean. Sometimes she will drink two cups in van and make a third for the road before unplugging.

If we overnight without power, we stop at the very first McDonalds that's open and buy two large cups. An hour or two later we repeat.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-03-2017, 06:39 PM
trhoppe

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You people are weird. Electric kettle hooked up to the inverter with an AeroPress. Cheap, easy, and delicious. Much better than the ass juice that is fast food/gas station coffee
post #7 of 21 Old 01-03-2017, 07:54 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Fortunately for MsNomer, Mt. Dew doesn't need to be warmed up. I understand it's also very good at cleaning rust stains from toilet bowls but that another thread, I believe

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-03-2017, 08:43 PM
BillMac

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up for the Stanley cups and Starbucks Via. (Disclaimer, I work for Stanley and use my expense account for the Via on my work adventures)

1st PM 2015 118" Diesel-Bought 4/15 Got sick 5/15 1400 miles returned to FCA 10/15
2nd one 2016 136" LR Diesel 10/15 let the project begin
post #9 of 21 Old 01-03-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Those Mugs Rock like nothing else! We have 3 in AZ as my wife has a 12 oz one for her exercise class besides our two 16 oz pair and we have 2 in NH one is a regular blue hammered surface and the other a stainless one to fit a bicycle bottle cage and I use it for coffee/cold drinks in my motorcycle tail bag. They never leak, stay hot or cold for 5-7 hours, tough, easy to clean, and stainless inside. Im thinking about a new identity and card...... Have Stanley Mug - Will Travel!..... -Nah it just doesn’t quite do it. Glad to know I am keeping you working. When you retire the expense account goes away!

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #10 of 21 Old 01-04-2017, 02:10 AM
TravelDerby

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
An electric kettle (I use the plastic Bodum model), stainless french press (Frieling) and fresh ground 8 O' Clock French Vanilla beans (The french press works best if you grind the beans a bit course). Also, the electric kettle doubles as my source for small amounts of hot water for dishes, bathing, etc.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page