RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Garage
P00AF - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Module Performance
P04DA - Closed Loop EGR Control at Limit - Flow Too High
I asked, you answered, but I am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling I understand. Did the van go into reduced power mode (you would feel a sluggish acceleration and top speed of about 60mph at most)
Have you by any chance noticed if the air filter and its hoses might be misaligned or loose or out of place or a gasket missing? Extra air not going past the Mass Air Flow sensor might explain why this happened. The fix of cleaning the EGR cooler may be fixing only one symptom as it would also cause the particulate filter to not regenerate I suspect. That will eventually give codes and limp mode for plugged particulate filter, but it may not be filled yet. The dealer can see that on their computer and force a regen. Checking those parts should be easy, cleaning the cooler, or replacing it would be great and 750 miles is about right for this symptom to show up if the MAF is misreading the air flow.
Now you know I am an idiot.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 01-04-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Rhodanish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes it went into a limp mode I don't think I could of held even 60 mph. I have to cycle the key to clear the electronic throttle control light. haven't checked anything myself...

It is regenerating watched one Monday morning. Another one should take place tomorrow sometime.

Never thought you were an idiot..
I was a diesel mechanic in a past life ( 7 years ago and no want to become one again lol) but I also need a working van!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #13 of 23 Old 01-04-2017, 09:00 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Garage
I admit to the idiot status more for getting involved in an area outside my mechanical history and ability. I have worked on the older (unregulated) diesels some and have a conceptual understanding of what this one is supposed to be doing. If it is regenerating it is a good sign but there is a reason the EGR cooler plugged. I would listen to their explanation and if they don’t know why they have not solved it. Early on many EGR valves were replaced and when the van did not run correctly FCA finally bought them back. Finally software to better regulate the EGR, and particulate filter made most problematical vans work. We have had almost no diesel emissions issues for nearly two years. Among those bought and repaired may have been one that holds the answer for yours. No one before you has reported a plugged EGR cooler as far as I remember. This is why I said there is a component or assembly issue with your van. Your dealer and tech, even if he is really good will not likely be able to get your van right with out FCA’s star team, a case has been opened, right?

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177

post #14 of 23 Old 01-04-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Rhodanish

(Thread Starter)
The star team is the one telling the dealer to clean the egr cooler

post #15 of 23 Old 01-05-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Rhodanish

(Thread Starter)
They have changed their mind now they think turbo or turbo waste gate...

post #16 of 23 Old 01-05-2017, 09:36 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Garage
A-ha. They don’t have a clue! Just like us! Turbo waste gate should be easy check as one readout to ODB is boost.

post #17 of 23 Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Rhodanish

(Thread Starter)
The dealer i bought it from is 3.5 hours away but much bigger and deal with the promasters more then my local dealer I'm heading past them tuesday for work. I'm going to see if I can drop it off to them and grab a loaner cargo van of some sort... it's been almost a week of my local dealer just "talking"

post #18 of 23 Old 01-06-2017, 12:19 AM
TedV865

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
What actuates the EGR valve? Is it a vacuum line or electric solenoid? If vacuum line check for any leaks in that line. If the EGR valve doesn't open as far as the engine wants it to or stays completely closed, it will act like a clogged EGR cooler. Also since there isn't the flow of exhaust gasses through the valve the boost reading will be off from what the computer expects to see. That will give you boost codes.

Question, how can you have a clogged EGR cooler if the code says "Flow too high"? Is it EGR flow or intake air flow? If EGR flow is too high that would be a sticking open or debris in the valve holding it open not a cooler problem. Unless the valve is part of the cooler

Do any of the OBD scanners give measuring block actual readings vs the requested value? I had a code indicating a turbo issue on a VW. Looking at the measuring blocks I saw the MAF value was fluctuating too fast but not too far out of spec to throw a MAF code. Sprayed the MAF down with electronics cleaner and problem solved. Sometimes the problem wont be what the code is indicating. The code is just what has been thrown far enough out of spec. The fuel pump was leaking fuel (thanks ultra low sulfur diesel) the vapor was sucked up the intake, hot wire of MAF burnt the fuel vapor and deposited sludge on the wire, at this point the not too far out of range MAF reading did not jive with the boost reading, confused the computer and computer thought the boost was the "implausible" problem. Boost control mechanism was perfectly fine.

Any chance a rodent has been under the hood chewing on things?

2015 3500 gas. High roof extended, RV-ish package. They do exist!
post #19 of 23 Old 01-06-2017, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Rhodanish

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedV865 View Post
What actuates the EGR valve? Is it a vacuum line or electric solenoid? If vacuum line check for any leaks in that line. If the EGR valve doesn't open as far as the engine wants it to or stays completely closed, it will act like a clogged EGR cooler. Also since there isn't the flow of exhaust gasses through the valve the boost reading will be off from what the computer expects to see. That will give you boost codes.

Question, how can you have a clogged EGR cooler if the code says "Flow too high"? Is it EGR flow or intake air flow? If EGR flow is too high that would be a sticking open or debris in the valve holding it open not a cooler problem. Unless the valve is part of the cooler

Do any of the OBD scanners give measuring block actual readings vs the requested value? I had a code indicating a turbo issue on a VW. Looking at the measuring blocks I saw the MAF value was fluctuating too fast but not too far out of spec to throw a MAF code. Sprayed the MAF down with electronics cleaner and problem solved. Sometimes the problem wont be what the code is indicating. The code is just what has been thrown far enough out of spec. The fuel pump was leaking fuel (thanks ultra low sulfur diesel) the vapor was sucked up the intake, hot wire of MAF burnt the fuel vapor and deposited sludge on the wire, at this point the not too far out of range MAF reading did not jive with the boost reading, confused the computer and computer thought the boost was the "implausible" problem. Boost control mechanism was perfectly fine.

Any chance a rodent has been under the hood chewing on things?
I hope no mice first cel / electronic throttle control light came on at 750 miles lol

post #20 of 23 Old 01-06-2017, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Rhodanish

(Thread Starter)
And that was my question is the turbo / egr causing the electronic throttle control light or is it throwing those codes Cuz the ETC light causes a limp mode

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page