post #1 of 13 Old 12-22-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Wink Honey I was just getting a book- honest!

What is it about this van that interests ladies even more than men? Yesterday I had an experience that is often repeated in some similar form. I’m on my way to the Library in our little Arizona town and have just parked the van. It is rebadged as a Fiat Ducato, because that is what it is. As soon as I step on the sidewalk a very attractive lady with smiling eyes and riding a bicycle stops suddenly like she has seen something wonderful. Now before I go on, let me tell you I am in the latter part of the sixties, 5’8” tall 190+ lbs, very gray with a trimmed gray beard in a town full of “snowbirds”. I don’t stand out in any way here- not handsome, not tall, not dark, and not anything.
This lady moves a touch closer, just inside the normal comfort zone for a stranger to be, but has a beautiful face, a wonderful engaging smile and pleasant voice asking me if that is my Fiat. I do the 15 year old kid thing when any female does this and babble something about it being mine and explaining why it says Fiat, and yes as she thought it is diesel. I avoid conversation stoppers like “how old are you?” “Are you married?”, “Could we have an affair?”. The conversation reveals we both spend winter in town, "isn’t it odd we haven’t met before?", she wants to tour the van sometime (I defer for now as my wife is about to come out of the library and frowns on finding me alone with another woman in the van) and I offer to show it the next time we meet as we both are on errands.
Whew! kinda gets the old heart pumping. I am not fooled by this encounter. This nice lady’s interest is in finding out more about the van. Anything else must be the adolescent boy inside. So lets focus on why these interactions happen. Girls and young women call these vans “purve vans” and have a very distorted view about the owners. Creepy. Middle aged women tend to take the view that if they wanted to camp, which they generally don’t, it would be in the Hilton. But some magical thing happens when the Social Security check starts coming in, there is time to travel, money enough, lots of free time and the realization that there is a big World out there and the kids don’t need you anymore. Lets face it, many of us end up un-partnered in these years too. I was surprised when I met a lady in an old Sprinter, traveling alone, teaching juggling of all things. I don’t know why I should be but I was.
In our tiny town I now know of 4 lady’s who live full time in converted vans like ours, the one above in a crudely converted Sprinter, two in Class B conversions- one a PM one a Sprinter, and a forth lady in a 159" PM nicely converted by her son. All live and travel alone! Most spend lots of time with family part of the year. We also have a collection of Desert rat/hermit men in dilapidated class Cs with window AC units stuck through the walls and house paint on the sides, you know the style, a cross between ZZ Top and Uncle Phil of the Duck guys. There are plenty of couples in everything that is made. I admire the women most for their sense of adventure, their openness, and for having overcome a stereotype about safety in a difficult time.
I have been approached about 50 times here and many more on the road and in campgrounds about the van. Nothing similar has happened since I owned the 79 VW Westfalia. I am always willing to converse and show the van. I have come to understand there is a shared vision of wanting to explore the World. These women and men are seeing these vans as a vehicle (literally and figuratively) to do that. All the folks who have asked have been interesting people, I have to look up the lady from the library and show the van, it will be a pleasure I am sure.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel

Last edited by RDinNHandAZ; 12-22-2016 at 12:17 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RDinNHandAZ For This Useful Post:
MJAB (12-22-2016), NorthernRPM (12-23-2016), Quest4Adv (12-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Quest4Adv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
You should have showed her your leatherman to "seal" the deal

2015 136" HR, Diesel, Deep Cherry Red.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then... Bob Seger
The Following User Says Thank You to Quest4Adv For This Useful Post:
RDinNHandAZ (12-22-2016)
post #3 of 13 Old 12-22-2016, 03:10 PM
MsNomer

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
It works both ways. Men are interested too.

I'm looking forward to my first solo trip in a few weeks. First to Shreveport and Monroe, LA, to visit old friends, then to MS to visit family, then to Lake Charles, LA, and Dallas to visit more family. Probably at least a couple of weeks. Most nights will be in driveways or real beds, but I'm going to make sure to include a few camping nights. MrNomer would be bored stiff so I'm leaving him at home to take care of the cats.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsNomer For This Useful Post:
keeponvaning (12-22-2016), Quest4Adv (12-22-2016)

post #4 of 13 Old 12-22-2016, 06:10 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
MsNomer - don't forget your Leatherman!

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-22-2016, 08:40 PM
zwarte
Super Moderator

Location: Boxley Valley, Buffalo National River, Arkansas, United States
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
I get an inordinate amount of interest in my 136 conversion. At home, visiting friends, at gas stations, walking out of restaurants etc.

We are the easy riders of the 2010s. I think people want to feel the creativity and adventure.

http://www.thecaravanfilm.ca

Documentary Trailer

Adventuring with a Promaster
post #6 of 13 Old 12-23-2016, 09:32 AM
NorthernRPM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
" Nice van "

It is a phenomena, people are attracted to PMs.Since owning mine I too have experienced a lot of interested looks and a stop you in the parking lot questions . They usually go something like this; "What is it ?'( mine is debadged ), "Do you camp in it ?', 'Can you stand up in it ?' "What kind of gas mileage do you get?" (mine is a diesel, but parked how where they to know)."Are they any good in the wind ?", "Are they any good in the snow ?" "Who makes them?"( sometimes even after I have told them what it is )"Gee it's really tall?"..............."Do you like it?"......YES!!

2015 2500 diesel 159 HT Crystal Granite
post #7 of 13 Old 12-23-2016, 11:09 AM
proeddie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRPM View Post
It is a phenomena, people are attracted to PMs.Since owning mine I too have experienced a lot of interested looks and a stop you in the parking lot questions . They usually go something like this; "What is it ?'( mine is debadged ), "Do you camp in it ?', 'Can you stand up in it ?' "What kind of gas mileage do you get?" (mine is a diesel, but parked how where they to know)."Are they any good in the wind ?", "Are they any good in the snow ?" "Who makes them?"( sometimes even after I have told them what it is )"Gee it's really tall?"..............."Do you like it?"......YES!!
Same situation, same questions.... they must be attracted to our Granite Metallic Promasters!

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum
post #8 of 13 Old 12-23-2016, 01:00 PM
TedV865

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Mine is a Deep Cherry Red 3500. I didn't even get home from the dealer before people were talking to me at gas stations. Here in TN I seem to get the opening line of "You must be a Bama fan" to which I reply "Nope, they just don't offer the van in UT Vol Orange"

Actually, the van color goes with my red Leatherman Squirt E34 I keep in my pocket on my keychain.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-23-2016, 01:02 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeddie View Post
Same situation, same questions.... they must be attracted to our Granite Metallic Promasters!
Don't think so I get the same response from my vanilla white one

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-23-2016, 03:54 PM
MsNomer

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
From the beginning even when people were dissing the PM's looks, it has been beautiful to me. It reminds me of:

A grinning chipmunk

A wooden toy truck

A dog on its haunches waiting for the ball to be thrown

IOW, it looks like FUN.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page