Clutch bleed? - Page 5 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #41 of 50 Old 01-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Zoomyn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Maybe be happy you didn't spray foam the insulation in, IIRC a forum member had to remove generously applied forever-foam before they would allow the buy-back. Okay, fine, not sunshine and roses but it is true...

2014 Diesel 2500 window wagon
11 June 2015 delivery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 Old 01-13-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
mikesee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Got it back yesterday. Attached pic shows the detail on what they did -- essentially hardwiring the speed sensor.

Drove off the lot, merged into traffic, and as I got up to speed felt a 'thumpthumpthump' that increased as I accelerated. Parked it, went and looked at all 4 tires, checking for a flat spot, but couldn't see one. Took it back to dealer, drove the service advisor down the street and she said "It feels like a flat spot on one of the tires". Pulled over and she got out to inspect. I crept forward as she looked until she said "Stop". There was a flat spot -- caused when the parking brake froze -- and the right rear tire was hosed.

They replaced the tire this morning. I drove home without incident. Now I wait for the other shoe to drop, or not. Hoping that hardwiring that sensor makes the difference. Will check back in here if it doesn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8A3A1508.jpg (593.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1297.JPG (43.8 KB, 30 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to mikesee For This Useful Post:
MJAB (01-13-2017)
post #43 of 50 Old 01-16-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
mikesee

(Thread Starter)
Went up into the mountains to play on Sat. Driving down a few hours later I got a "Service Transmission" on the EVIC. Codes were the same as last time -- ATTCP and P0571.

Red exclamation point kept flashing on the dash the whole drive down the hill, but then went out somewhere on the (very flat) Interstate on the way home.

Drove back up today (Sunday) to play in the snow again, and it happened again -- all of it, exactly the same.

On the Interstate on our way home the cruise control would not function.

post #44 of 50 Old 01-21-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
mikesee

(Thread Starter)
Turns out P0571 (covers brake switch and cruise control) was the only thing that the dealer could find and/or duplicate a problem with. From what they told me, as well as what I've been able to glean from online sources and friends that wrench professionally, when the brake switch malfunctions it's as if you're driving two-footed. And potentially very heavy on the brake foot.

I don't drive two footed ever, so when the dealer kept asking if I did I was confused. At one point they explained that they see Chargers come in with this code somewhat frequently, because macho dudes are doing brake torques at stoplights before lighting 'em up. Clearly not something that's happening with the PM, but that's how it was presenting to the techs.

Thus my trans had been hot (I'm not sure if they used the word overheating or if I appended it after the conversation) as we came down the hill last weekend, not through any fault of driver but because this switch was malfunctioning. What tipped them off was when I said the cruise control wouldn't work, apparently.

Anyhow, they've since checked/repaired/replaced the switch and (according to the receipt) some associated wiring.

When I drove it off the dealer lot this AM I was tuned in (as always) to the shift feather that has been happening for months now. And it seems to be gone. I only got a few miles of running errands in, but never once detected the feather in that time. Thus maybe (so the dealer hopes) the brake switch has ben the culprit all along?

I'm hoping so too, but might just be past the point where my faith can be entirely restored in this particular van.

Heading out for a ~1000 mile trip on Monday morning. With fingers crossed, as usual.
post #45 of 50 Old 02-06-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
mikesee

(Thread Starter)
Never got to head out on that 1000 mile trip, as I got a "Service Transmission" and P0571 on the EVIC a few hours before leaving.

Thus I left for a roadtrip without my roadtrip vehicle. Such a bummer.

2 weeks later I come back to the dealer and they've put ~1000 miles on my van, attempting to "duplicate my concern". They were able to do it once out of 5 tries, using the same route it has happened to me on 3 times out of 3. They drove the same speed, same gear, same direction, etc... But even with all of their OBD equipment hooked up, they weren't able to pull a code or any info that'd give them an idea of where to go from there.

The next step is that Chrysler Engineering apparently has some higher $ diagnostic equipment that the dealer is referring to as a data logger. Apparently they can hook this stuff up, go for a drive, and it both records much more data than the dealer can gather, as well as sends it in real time back to Detroit for analysis and conjecture.

Service manager had never heard of this unit in 12 years with Chrysler. Says there are only 2 or 3 of these units in the country. Also says it will take "a few weeks" to get one from Detroit to Colorado, whence a regional rep will deliver it to the dealer, install it himself, then take my van for a drive.

The only possible upshot to all of this is that the service manager and engineers all agree that the problem is 90% likely to be software related, as there is no change in performance or driveability whether the codes have set or not. They think I simply need a software update, but it's an as-yet non-existent update because they know neither what's causing it nor how to address the phantom cause.

So I have my van back, with nothing solved, and an indeterminate time until a solution will even be suggested, much less implemented.

If diesels were currently available I think I'd have little interest in continuing with this one -- it'd be buyback time.

Alas they are not, and I'm not interested in a rear wheel drive van, nor a gas PM.

I have a case started with FCA Customer Care and am told I'll be getting a MaxCare extended warranty. I will also be pushing them for oil changes, some small items like a spare key fob and touch up paint, as well as for them to make at least one payment given that I had my van for 4 days in January.

Will update, hopefully with good news, once the data logger chapter begins.
post #46 of 50 Old 02-07-2017, 03:24 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Garage
I understand your pain as a concerned fellow diesel owner can. The fact this is not an engine or emissions issue it seems it should be an easy fix. ATM transmissions will become common and they are not inherently complex. This engine-transmission is so good FCA has solved the initial issues. The transmission is used in Europe in the Ducato. BTW sales for Promasters is gaining on Ford and Sprinter.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic happy with the owner conversion. See: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #47 of 50 Old 02-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Tyler Wick

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Looking forward to more of your story, mikesee. I have started feeling some intermittent "clutch feathering" on my 2014 as well. It may have always been there and I just started paying attention after reading about your problem!

I'm not really sure its a clutch problem... it feels like a delay in throttle response after shifting, like turbo lag or something. After the shift, I am still on the gas, but the RPMs stay put for maybe .5-1 second and then the power kicks in again and I see the RPMs rise and can feel the van pull. If it was clutch, I would expect that the RPMs would rise before the power. It definitely seems like a computer issue to me... I don't feel it at all some days, other days I feel it with every shift. No difference with tow haul on or manual shifting. I never feel any problems on downshifts. No clutch smell or any other overt indication of a physical clutch problem.

Edit - I may try running with the obd2 monitor and obd fusion to watch the boost as I shift.. maybe that will show something interesting.

2014 159WB High Roof 3500 Diesel custom camper build

Last edited by Tyler Wick; 02-24-2017 at 08:52 PM.
post #48 of 50 Old 02-24-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
mikesee

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wick View Post
Looking forward to more of your story, mikesee. I have started feeling some intermittent "clutch feathering" on my 2014 as well. It may have always been there and I just started paying attention after reading about your problem!

I'm not really sure its a clutch problem... it feels like a delay in throttle response after shifting, like turbo lag or something. After the shift, I am still on the gas, but the RPMs stay put for maybe .5-1 second and then the power kicks in again and I see the RPMs rise and can feel the van pull. If it was clutch, I would expect that the RPMs would rise before the power. It definitely seems like a computer issue to me... I don't feel it at all some days, other days I feel it with every shift. No difference with tow haul on or manual shifting. I never feel any problems on downshifts. No clutch smell or any other overt indication of a physical clutch problem.

Edit - I may try running with the obd2 monitor and obd fusion to watch the boost as I shift.. maybe that will show something interesting.

Feathering has been inconsistent for me. Some days very noticeable. Other times I'll go hundreds of miles without noticing.

Worth mentioning is that the original indicator of a problem here -- the P2872 code for "Clutch A stuck engaged" -- was thought to have been solved when Star told dealer to hardwire the speed sensor, and the dealer did just that. Lasted over a month with no recurrences. Then I drove down to Cameron, AZ late last week to run a river. Got a CEL and P2872 -- despite the hardwired sensor -- upon startup to drive back home.
post #49 of 50 Old 04-07-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
mikesee

(Thread Starter)
Progress!

Dealer found an empathetic ear within Chrysler engineering in Detroit, whom looked into the details of this case and just couldn't make heads or tails of it. And instead of passing the buck or ignoring things, decided to act.

Long story short, as of today I have a brand spankin' new transmission in my PM, and the old one has been palletted and is heading back to the assembly plant in Mexico for inspection/blueprinting.

New trans felt smoother in the first mile than the old one did most of it's 19,900 miles. Hoping this solves it, will check back in here when there's something more to report.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikesee For This Useful Post:
bkhi (04-08-2017), MJAB (04-08-2017), Tyler Wick (04-07-2017)
post #50 of 50 Old 04-09-2017, 01:53 AM
charity's van

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
seems to me they are finally getting onboard with transmission replacements. the tcm, the trans, and the wire harness usually get replaced as a set. it just depends on how cheap the person is authorizing the repair. some do one item at a time as the van keeps coming back, other do all 3 to try solve problem. ive had my van back about a month now, barely put 10k miles on the new trans. it has been working fine this time.

ps i was looking on cargurus at diesel 3500 extendeds for sale, i found 2 that were buybacks repaired and for sale. both had trans issues as why buyback.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page