User Tag List

post #1 of 43 Old 09-22-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
mikesee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Clutch bleed?

Woke up to a CEL on Friday. Dropped it at dealer and they found a code that directed them to bleed the clutch master cylinder. I had no time that day and they said it could be safely driven without the bleed, so they cleared the code and sent me on my way.

It's at the dealer now, ostensibly being bled.

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else yet, and if it might be indicative of a larger problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 09-22-2016, 11:46 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Garage
I don’t think we have seen a clutch bleed done due to a code. I’d wait it out and see if anything else shows up or if the shifting shows abnormalities. There is no reason to think it is more than a poor initial fluid fill. I am hesitant to suggest possibilities as unjustified paranoia can be the result. Relax (if you can).

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #3 of 43 Old 09-23-2016, 10:37 AM
jimmbomb

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Are there clutch pedals on these vans? I own a gasser.
post #4 of 43 Old 09-23-2016, 01:12 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Garage
No- Robotically shifted and clutched.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
post #5 of 43 Old 09-26-2016, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
mikesee

(Thread Starter)
Got it back a few days ago, seems smoother (shifting) somehow. Leaving for a ~1500 mile roadtrip in the AM, will report back if necessary when we return.
post #6 of 43 Old 10-09-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
mikesee

(Thread Starter)
Roadtrip was smooth -- no CEL's or any other hiccups along the way. Roughly 1800 miles all-in. Got 27 mpg on a 550 mile-stretch of 55 and 65mph 2-laners through Idaho. Got 22.1 mpg on the ~400 mile 84mph stretch of I-84/I-15 heading back home.

Woke up the morning after getting home, turned the key and got a CEL. Drove straight to dealer because IME the CEL's I've seen typically go away after one more cycle of the ignition. Dealer pulled code P2872: Clutch stuck engaged.

It was Saturday and they had a skeleton crew there, so I'm dropping it back off in the AM for the day.
post #7 of 43 Old 10-09-2016, 06:45 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Garage
Since you drove it to the dealer it WAS NOT stuck engaged or you wouldn’t have gotten there. However the code is there due to some sensor reporting such an error. Thanks for reporting back.

post #8 of 43 Old 10-11-2016, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
mikesee

(Thread Starter)
Dealer suspected an electrical connection was bad somewhere, but can't find anything. STAR wanted them to keep it overnight, in hopes that the CEL might happen again for them in the AM. Told them thanks but no thanks -- if it happens in the AM I can just drive it down to them right then and there -- with the CEL still illuminated on the dash. That has happened many times already and each time I *have* done that they've been able to find nothing. Most often they can't even pull a code.

My only contribution (other than frustration) has been to explain to the dealer that I have a very steep driveway, and the CEL almost always appears first thing in the AM after being parked on that steep grade all night. I've never actually gotten the CEL when driving -- only after a startup. A few of these have been when out boondocking, after creeping up or down a steep grade to get into or out of camp. Thus I asked if it was possible that there was an air bubble trapped in the clutch somewhere, that is migrating elsewhere when the van is inclined steeply. Service writer had no real idea, and I didn't get to talk to a tech.

All I've got. Open to other ideas.
post #9 of 43 Old 10-11-2016, 08:19 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Garage
Aha! it’s the sensor in the clutch fluid reservoir sensing low fluid! (it’s a guess!) Can you super top it up- say a bit over full? That might be worth a try.

post #10 of 43 Old 10-11-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
mikesee

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDinNHandAZ View Post
Aha! it’s the sensor in the clutch fluid reservoir sensing low fluid! (it’s a guess!) Can you super top it up- say a bit over full? That might be worth a try.
Wouldn't the code then say something about fluid level, instead of 'stuck engaged'?

And, to be clear, this happens maybe once every ~3 weeks, not every morning. Just thinking that it would trigger whatever sensor more often since it's consistently parked in exactly the same spot.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page