post #1 of 9 Old 08-03-2016, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
MichaelMPerez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Keeping condensation of windows at bay

Hi,
Condensation of windows have been a longstanding issue for me. I happened to see a blog about condensation of windows (https://www.clerawindows.com/blog/is...t-in-the-home/). Any other ideas or solutions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-03-2016, 02:56 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Do you have a roof vent?

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-03-2016, 08:06 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Garage
We ventilate our van when sleeping by opening an awning window and the Fantastic Vent. More if its warm, less if its cold. We have been condensate free almost every night. We have woken to condensate on the outside which we would normally call dew. Inside- not so much.

That article was recent but the author knows almost nothing about windows. All modern windows are double pane nitrogen filled and will not condense unless extreme conditions occur which will be rare. Low E is not about condensation but about UV light transmission and comes in two types Low E and Low E sun. Soft and hard?? In all the states I have built in (3) Low E thermopane windows are the building requirement and anything else must be for historical restoration or some other exotic reason.

Two layer windows for campers are available in Europe and possibly here. Conclusion- ventilate.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel

post #4 of 9 Old 08-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Wowbagger

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No, low-E is not about UV - quite the opposite, it is about IR, specifically it is about the window having a low emissivity in the infrared spectrum.

A principle of physics is that an object's ability to absorb radiation is identical to the ability to radiate radiation - this is called the blackbody principle. A window with high emissivity will absorb more radiation if the environment is hotter than the window, and will radiate more if the environment is cold, as compared to a low emissivity window.

Then you add having a dry inert gas between panes to cut convection and conduction between the panes, and you have a modern high R value window.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-03-2016, 08:42 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Garage
EEEIHHH - I hate it when I screw up something I know!!! UV is partially blocked by any glass and UVB specifically is nearly all blocked where UVA is not so much. Reflective coatings which are popular can block the UVA as well. Thanks for the correction my fingers typed UV when my brain should have sent IR. IR is sensed by the body as heat so walking in front of a non-low E window feels the sun’s warmth and in front of a low E window does not.
Neither is much related to condensation at night when the sun is not shining!

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
post #6 of 9 Old 08-04-2016, 02:00 PM
goldenraf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Double layers window

Yes double layer windows are the way to go, look at my post, I installed one 2 weeks ago ad I love it.
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...242#post332242
I could get those but I need to pool to with other people to be able to place an order.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-04-2016, 02:19 PM
PMF

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
condensation -- that's why one should never use fiber type insulation in a vehicle
post #8 of 9 Old 08-04-2016, 03:51 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Garage
If there is condensation on the windows chances are there is condensation on the metallic surfaces even in or behind your insulation. What to do? Never insulate with denim or other cotton based fibers, use only hydrophobic fibers like Thinsulate if you HAVE to use a fiber type insulation, do not use foams that absorb moisture such as Pink or blue board XPS or styrofoam EXP, and plan a path for the condensate and the humid vapors to pass down to the bottom of the doors and van body where drain channels should be present. Rigid foams with uninterrupted foil surfaces are available such as polyisocyanurate. Some Styrofoam products have a plastic coating which if not disturbed might be ok but have a slumping failure limit at 160 easily reached for non white vans in the south.
I believe the best policy is to find out why condensation is happening and prevent it, then you can get away with having installed the wrong insulation, probably. As I said before VENTILATE.

End of rant.

The Following User Says Thank You to RDinNHandAZ For This Useful Post:
PMF (08-04-2016)
post #9 of 9 Old 09-23-2016, 01:40 AM
Turf n Surf

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Semi hi jack here, a guy on Youtube said he was busted by a cop for stealth camping in his van in So Cal. The guy asked the cop what gave him away since his van was a work van without windows. The cop said the condensation on the front windshield betrayed him.

Is there a glass treatment or spray like rain-X that can solve this problem? I am heading to Key West next month and its unlawful to park/sleep in a vehicle too. Got busted after 10pm parking/sleeping in front the ocean 5yrs ago...

Modern Nomad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page