User Tag List

post #11 of 43 Old 11-23-2015, 09:07 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Garage
That could be just what is happening. Perhaps others would look for this leak (defect?) and give some feedback. One problem to getting action from FCA might be how many complaints come in and how many dealers confirm it. If it is a problem like the leaking marker lights were, FCA should institute a change in manufacture/assembly to get it right. They have been responsible after the fact on other issues but seem slow to react to an individual or one dealer. I support bringing any issue that won't go away back to the top of the list.

BTW all those seams are sealed with a glue or mastic which appears to be applied by machine and painted over later. To find the leak will require the services of a body shop experienced in this sort of material. Many utility vehicles seem to be "glued" together although spot welds actually do much of the holding. Those can be seen in your picture. I expect finding the leak will require the mastic to be removed along the seam outside the van and a repair and repaint accomplished. Keep us posted.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic happy with the owner conversion. See: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 Old 02-17-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
climbing coastie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Finally got out from under my POS van.

Bittersweet actually. I honestly thought it was the perfect platform for a camper conversion. But knowing I no longer have to make payments on a van that doesn't like going to altitude (where I'd use it the most) feels great.

Besides all the waiting due to FCA's incompetence returning it was much easier than buying it!

I hope those of you that have good working Promasters continue to have good luck with them. I was just burned and fed up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to climbing coastie For This Useful Post:
johnnybesurfing (02-17-2016), Quest4Adv (02-17-2016)
post #13 of 43 Old 07-18-2016, 04:27 PM
farmike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDinNHandAZ View Post
Really? I've been 8 days straight in rain, drove 3000 miles, camped in rain, driving rain at times. I'm dry, rocker panels are not wet as I just checked. How did I not get the "design flaw?" Wait and be happy later.
Just wondering , how do you check the rocker panel area for moisture?

2014 HT. Gas. 136" BLACK,

post #14 of 43 Old 07-19-2016, 05:26 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Stick something down inside and see if it comes out wet. The triangular openings at the bottom inside walls are a good place to start.

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.
The Following User Says Thank You to keeponvaning For This Useful Post:
farmike (07-19-2016)
post #15 of 43 Old 07-22-2016, 03:59 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Garage
Yup what he said! ^^^^^^ ( I’ve bee away from the forum.)

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic happy with the owner conversion. See: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #16 of 43 Old 07-23-2016, 07:50 PM
jimmbomb

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbing coastie View Post
Finally got out from under my POS van.

Bittersweet actually. I honestly thought it was the perfect platform for a camper conversion. But knowing I no longer have to make payments on a van that doesn't like going to altitude (where I'd use it the most) feels great.

Besides all the waiting due to FCA's incompetence returning it was much easier than buying it!

I hope those of you that have good working Promasters continue to have good luck with them. I was just burned and fed up.
So, how did you actually get out from under it?
Did FCA buy it? Did they give you a fair price?
Details, please?
Thanks
post #17 of 43 Old 07-24-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
climbing coastie

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbomb View Post
So, how did you actually get out from under it?
Did FCA buy it? Did they give you a fair price?
Details, please?
Thanks

Unfortunately they made me sign a confidentiality agreement so I can't give specifics. But here is what I can tell you:

I hired a lemon lawyer because of the runaround FCA's claim department was giving me. They didn't pay for the modifications I had done, so I lost just over $1000 for the window, roof vent, and insulation I had installed myself.

If it wasn't for them not paying for the modifications I think it would have been a fair price. But losing $1000 on a van that gave me nothing but trouble stings. FCA is a business and they ran the buyback as such.

Sorry I can't give more specific info, but don't want to break the agreement.
The Following User Says Thank You to climbing coastie For This Useful Post:
Dave's not home (07-24-2016)
post #18 of 43 Old 07-24-2016, 05:37 PM
jimmbomb

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbing coastie View Post
Unfortunately they made me sign a confidentiality agreement so I can't give specifics. But here is what I can tell you:

I hired a lemon lawyer because of the runaround FCA's claim department was giving me. They didn't pay for the modifications I had done, so I lost just over $1000 for the window, roof vent, and insulation I had installed myself.

If it wasn't for them not paying for the modifications I think it would have been a fair price. But losing $1000 on a van that gave me nothing but trouble stings. FCA is a business and they ran the buyback as such.

Sorry I can't give more specific info, but don't want to break the agreement.
Fair enough. Thanks for your input.
post #19 of 43 Old 07-25-2016, 05:34 PM
alexmacd

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For those that are curious, I recently went through a buyback as well. I bought a new 2016 that leaked thought the rocker panels on both sides, clearances lights, side door gasket, rear door gaskets, and through design flaw openings near/behind the tail lights, license plate, etc. 5 or so trips to the dealer fixed some but couldn't fix all of these issues. A hosing of the rear doors of less pressure than a high school car wash continued to find its way in. Right about when I was going to attempt to fix the rest myself, the brand new vehicle wouldn't start in my driveway. Time to give up, this was absurd. On inspection searching for fuses, I saw wiring routing under the soft drivers floor that was asking to wear through insulation, and one wire with cracked insulation already. The salesman that swore this was the best vehicle for RV conversion only referred me to others when he was proven wrong. I couldn't be more unhappy with the lack of quality I experienced, and the many months it took to complete a buyback, including many gatekeepers who I could only reach through voicemail and they may or may not call back. I also started a FCA customer support case, which cost tons of time to keep them updated and had next to nothing to offer in return. The only upside is that the local dealer acknowledged that they couldn't fix it and agreed to the buyback so I didn't have to lawyer up. Having under 1000 miles on it, I did get full price, except for insurance expenses and a ton of wasted time and frustration. Think twice before putting your faith in this vehicle.
post #20 of 43 Old 07-25-2016, 05:40 PM
Zyzzyx

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
A reminder that there's problems out there with any vehicle model.

A recent tale from the Transit forums had someone's nice 3.5 EB engine self destruct in less than 70 miles on the odometer. You think he has good feelings about the Transit after that? Probably not...

Another guy over there had issues with the van pulling hard to one side and wearing out front tires in only a few thousand miles. Ended up that the whole front subframe was tweaked or something like that. Took many, many months and more than a few dealer shops to look at it before it got even close to being fixed. He's still driving it, but at what level of trust?

-- Zyzzyx --

-- BoB, a ProMaster 3500 Diesel 159" HR Ext, metallic silver
-- Ordered 2/21/15, VIN 3/22/15, Built 5/21/15, Received 6/11/15
-- The Building of BoB the Van --
-- Please PM me if any pictures in my posts are showing up as bad links --
The Following User Says Thank You to Zyzzyx For This Useful Post:
BillMac (08-16-2016)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page