User Tag List

post #1 of 43 Old 11-03-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
climbing coastie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Buy Back Program

I know several people have gone the buy back route after having unresolved issues, but most seem to opt for a replacement. Has anyone done the buy-back and moved on without a replacement?

Some recent issues have left me wanting to just get rid of my van. I may look at the Promaster again in a couple years after they work out all the issues, but I don't feel a replacement at this time is an option for me. There's just too many problems with them for me to have confidenance in them.

So, has anyone had luck just walking away after a buy-back? Good/bad experance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 11-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Poppa53

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Hey CC, I did strongly consider just giving the PM back, but then, where am I. Don't want a Sprinter, My best friend bought an NV, already has van envy for my PM. Not keen on the Transit and no way on a Chevy. I opted to go with a gas 159ext, and I am extremely pleased. I wanted the diesel for the mileage and longevity. Given the complexity go the DEF system, and the probability of future expensive repairs, and the unknown causes of the current problems I opted for the gasser. Since I drive 50K+ miles a year, I bought a small SUV to use on days I don't need the PM, and extend the life of the drivetrain, in years, not miles. I figure 300-400K on the gasser, was counting on lots more from the diesel. Since I'm going to dual purpose the PM, to work and do a bit of traveling and camping, I felt this was the best option. The diesel got me an average of 23 mpg, overall(and I drive to get there, no coasting or shifting, 75-85 on the interstate, and the gas is giving about 17. On a60mph highway driving it gets 20 or so. I couldn't be happier with this set up, and this is truly the best van I have ever driven. Period, and I've driven them all in the last 44 years of working. Just my opinion, but I'm pleased with what I ended up with. Chris
post #3 of 43 Old 11-03-2015, 11:40 PM
BillMac

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Buy back route as with replacement is a hassle and expensive. You will pay for the usage i.e. miles at a pretty steep rate in either program. With replacement you have negotiation room, buy back none although if you use legal council you can show losses to lower the expense, but add in lawyer fees. My replacement came with extras, Nav, Cruise and 6 way seats. FCA also threw in 7 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty and while my original was down for almost 5 months made two payments for me.
I get the lack of confidence, but when I went out and drove the competitors and looked at pricing the PM still came out in top for me so I took the replacement. So far 1500 miles in 25 Mpg from the little diesel, no issues and am looking forward to building out my work, Play and road trip dream ride. First Road trip is two weeks away, WA to Texas so guessing I'll know if my choice was right by the end of the trip. Really suggest you drive the others, get a true final cost from FCA then decide what's best for you, good luck

1st PM 2015 118" Diesel-Bought 4/15 Got sick 5/15 1400 miles returned to FCA 10/15
2nd one 2016 136" LR Diesel 10/15 let the project begin

post #4 of 43 Old 11-04-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
climbing coastie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replys! I agree for what I want to use it for the Promaster is the best platform out there. Problem is I have just over 4000 miles on it and it's been in the shop over 40 days and scheduled to go back in the shop next week. I have thought about switching to the gasser up until this past weekend. There is a design flaw that allows excessive amounts of water into the rocker pannel area. I don't want a van that I built out for a camper conversion to hold water contribuiting to mold/mildew or rusting out in 4-6 years.

This was a retirement gift to myself and I planned on traveling around in it this next summer. I will be retiring in mid April, so I don't have time to wait the six months for a replacement then do the build. Even with a replacement I feel the same issues will exist.

I don't use it for work, it would strictly be a play vehicle. My plan would be to wait a couple years and look at the options out there again and pick the best option. Yes it would suck not to have a van, but I'd rather wait and see then be stuck with something that will break down/be in the shop, rust out, or mold/mildew.

I've talked with a lawyer already and it seems like going the Lemon Law wouldn't cost me too much at all.
post #5 of 43 Old 11-04-2015, 12:59 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Garage
Really? I've been 8 days straight in rain, drove 3000 miles, camped in rain, driving rain at times. I'm dry, rocker panels are not wet as I just checked. How did I not get the "design flaw?" Wait and be happy later.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic happy with the owner conversion. See: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #6 of 43 Old 11-04-2015, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
climbing coastie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDinNHandAZ View Post
Really? I've been 8 days straight in rain, drove 3000 miles, camped in rain, driving rain at times. I'm dry, rocker panels are not wet as I just checked. How did I not get the "design flaw?" Wait and be happy later.

Ok, so maybe design flaw wasn't the right phrase to use. But there are a lotof people that I've talked to that have the water issue, so either waysomething isn't right.

Glad the Promaster is living up to your expectations! But it isn't living upto mine and I'm tired of waiting to be happy! I bought a new vehicle and didn'texpect not to be able to use it for its intended purpose. I have had to cutfour of my five trips in it short (all of which wasted my vacation time)because STAR can't figure out a problem they knew about before I bought my van!Now I find out it leaks and holds water in an area that is already going to beprone to rust, no thanks, I'm done.
The Following User Says Thank You to climbing coastie For This Useful Post:
Billshawley (11-29-2016)
post #7 of 43 Old 11-05-2015, 02:58 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Garage
I do know how bad you are hurting and I believe there should be NO ISSUES and if they are FCA should be on them like stink on a skunk. When many people report issues they need to be even more diligent and we need to report and persist. I have had a different experience and can't appreciate all the issues as mine has been more than I expected. I am on a month trip and the diesel has been way better than I expected. The van is quiet, tight, comfortable, and quite the conversation starter. Mine is badged as a Fiat so many ask me about that.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic happy with the owner conversion. See: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
The Following User Says Thank You to RDinNHandAZ For This Useful Post:
Rhodanish (02-07-2017)
post #8 of 43 Old 11-17-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
climbing coastie

(Thread Starter)
FCA is either playing stall tatics or can't seem to pull their head out of their behind, either way I gave up on them and hired a lawyer to represent me for Lemon Law. Hopefully I'll be out from this van by Christmas. I really hoped it would of worked out as I think the Promaster COULD be an awesome platform. I even thought about looking at the Promaster again in a couple years after they worked out all the bugs, but with all my issues and FCA's incompitance I don't think I'll ever own another FCA product again.
The Following User Says Thank You to climbing coastie For This Useful Post:
swsl (03-21-2016)
post #9 of 43 Old 11-17-2015, 01:03 PM
spencerpdx

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Buy Back Program

My 2016 has a leak in the roof and I've taken it twice to be fixed only to have the drip persist.
This is just behind the cargo door opening.

"Like I told my first wife, honey, I never drive faster than I can see and besides, its all in the reflexes." - Jack Burton: Big Trouble in Little China

Last edited by spencerpdx; 11-17-2015 at 01:12 PM.
post #10 of 43 Old 11-23-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
climbing coastie

(Thread Starter)
RDinNHandAZ,

Not wanting to kick a dead horse, but I just noticed that you have a 136" WB van. I’m wondering if there is a difference in assembly between the long and short vans?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page