User Tag List

post #1 of 49 Old 04-18-2015, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Chance

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
DIY camper conversion costs?

There's been a lot of discussion about DIY RV conversions based on PM vans, and it's made me wonder about potential cost savings. Any ideas or feedback on how much the average project ends up costing?

Since labor is mostly free (assuming you do everything yourself as a hobby), but materials may cost more when purchased retail, it would seem that savings favor simpler builds when comparable in scope. If we tried building a very fancy or more complex van it may end up costing nearly as much. As an example, I'm guessing an Onan generator may cost us as much as it does Winnebago. Same with lithium batteries that don't involve much labor.

I know we can easily build a basic camper a little more functional than a tent for a couple of $1,000s, but can also see spending a small fortune if trying to replicate a Winnebago Travato.

So, any guess what an "average" project ends up costing -- not counting van? Are we talking $5k, $10k, $20k or more? And what does that buy you by comparison.

I know these are highly subjective questions and that's OK. There's got to be a wide range of project scopes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chance For This Useful Post:
logisnews (01-11-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 04-18-2015, 09:56 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
I posted my plans and a product list to budget from at http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Since then I have found some items for less but I think the figures are a good ballpark number + - perhaps $500
I have modified the crude plans a bit to only close the center section of the bed to make a sofa with two storage spaces on the sides during the day thus giving me two 50"+ spaces to store some long items underneath it. But no significant changes. I ordered a diesel 136" high top with full interior panels which I will remove to insulate and replace for the interior. The units will be modular and removable except for the heater section of the floor under the dinette. I am a cabinet builder w/tools.
This is a very complete build out w/o under chassis tanks and with porta-pottie. so it is not Travato level or cost but is very inexpensive in comparison to options. Note that going to a 3500 159 ext van would cost about the same as my build. I hope this helps.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #3 of 49 Old 04-18-2015, 11:49 AM
xdp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
RDinNHandAZ -

How do you attach cabinetry to the the floor and/or walls? Using L-shape brackets and rivnuts?

Why not 159 ext van?

post #4 of 49 Old 04-18-2015, 12:11 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
I've spent less than $6000 on my conversion, including solar. No propane or extra heat, including micro & fridge, all materials, roof fan, extra windows, flooring, sink, extra bucket seats in the back, portapotty, inverter, two AGM batteries, 2000w inverter, foam mattress, headliner, insulation, wall panelling, steps, etc.

All labor was my own.
post #5 of 49 Old 04-18-2015, 12:27 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdp View Post
RDinNHandAZ -
How do you attach cabinetry to the the floor and/or walls? Using L-shape brackets and rivnuts?
Why not 159 ext van?
You need to go to my post. I have made all the reasons clear I think. As for fastening: Rivnuts to the ribs of the camper, floor held down by the built in anchor points, and the cabinets attached to he floor with "D" rings and these:
Amazon Amazon

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #6 of 49 Old 04-18-2015, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Chance

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDinNHandAZ View Post
....cut.... I hope this helps.
It does, thanks. With the exception of air conditioning it has much of what I may want and then some. For my use solar doesn't help much. That could pay for AC. A shower in a larger van would be nice and may add a little cost to conversion.

In looking at factory Class Bs, the cost above that of bare van seems to be in range of $40k to $50k.

Using the 80:20 rule, any conversion that costs no more than $8k to $10k will be a bargain if it offers me 80% of the utility of a factory unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chance For This Useful Post:
Harberneiley (11-27-2015)
post #7 of 49 Old 04-18-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Chance

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponvaning View Post
I've spent less than $6000 on my conversion, including solar. .....cut.....

All labor was my own.
Thanks. Another data point in the $6k range -- good to know.

Again, shows another conversion well below factory costs. Granted that awnings, generators, etc... would add cost rapidly.
post #8 of 49 Old 04-18-2015, 01:12 PM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Mine will also be in the $5-6,000 range, closer to $5,000, I think.
post #9 of 49 Old 04-18-2015, 03:10 PM
jostalli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Garage
Well you can get a brand new Travato for $60k right now at La Mesa RV. Mine will cost close to that but will be so much better because it is designed the way I want it. I'm essentially building a tiny house with all amenities.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #10 of 49 Old 04-18-2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Chance

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Well you can get a brand new Travato for $60k right now at La Mesa RV. Mine will cost close to that but will be so much better because it is designed the way I want it. I'm essentially building a tiny house with all amenities.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks for heads up. Will be in that area later this week and may stop by. I've heard some bad things about La Mesa but may take a look anyway. Their web site shows Travatos from $67k and up. I didn't see any at $60k. Still a good price.

Are you doing all labor? How much will you spend on materials/equipment? Which amenities are driving cost higher? Seems significantly higher than other DIY projects. Not saying it's not worth extra cost.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page