2014 Ram Promaster 2500 engine failure at 109,000 miles - Page 7 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #61 of 92 Old 01-16-2015, 10:30 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip-on-truckin View Post
I have little experience with CV joints, but as I understand it they usually fail because the rubber boot craps out and allows them to leak out grease or leak in road grime. So as long as I keep an eye on the boots I shouldn't treat the CV joints as a "wear" item. Anybody confirm this?
That is my experience. I had a VW rabbit that I irritated a mechanic over a warrantee and he punched a small screwdriver tip through both front boots. I discovered the holes when the CV's failed in 10K miles which was beyond the warrantee. I guess he won that battle but the dealership was out of business in a year as word spread that the service was so bad. Imagine that! He was out of a job. Karma. I have never replaced a failed CV joint with an intact boot. 45 years experience in severe service/northeast kingdom of VT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 92 Old 01-17-2015, 08:19 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Agreed!
post #63 of 92 Old 02-09-2015, 08:12 PM
FlyingVan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I wouldn't just replace the CV axles for no reason. They don't just 'explode'. They start clicking in turns when they wear out, but they don't usually wear out unless the boots get damaged.

My 1991 Honda Accord still has the original CV axles at over 400k, but I replaced the boots 2 or 3 times.

I am more concerned about the front end staying aligned with all the extra weight of a van coupled with the extra complexity of the FWD. My 2004 Sprinter just turned 682k today and I have never had it aligned. A set of tires still lasts 150k+ miles. I doubt a FWD can do that, but I hope I'm wrong.

post #64 of 92 Old 02-09-2015, 11:10 PM
carnut

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingVan View Post
I wouldn't just replace the CV axles for no reason. They don't just 'explode'...
An axle literally snap right off on my boss's Chrysler minivan. No warning and in service for several years so not a fluke from the factory. Just fatigued and snapped from use. Hopefully they put much stronger axles in the PM.
post #65 of 92 Old 02-10-2015, 12:40 AM
Zyzzyx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
An axle literally snap right off on my boss's Chrysler minivan. No warning and in service for several years so not a fluke from the factory. Just fatigued and snapped from use. Hopefully they put much stronger axles in the PM.
The only car my parents ever bought new was a Chevy S-10 Blazer. Had a complete transmission failure at 15k. Talked with the service writer afterwards, said the main culprit was something that should never break. Ever. 1 million miles ever. But, sh*t happens and not everything is perfect. You'll always be able to find some kind of OMG! failure of something.

-- Zyzzyx --

-- BoB, a ProMaster 3500 Diesel 159" HR Ext, metallic silver
-- Ordered 2/21/15, VIN 3/22/15, Built 5/21/15, Received 6/11/15
-- The Building of BoB the Van --
-- Please PM me if any pictures in my posts are showing up as bad links --
post #66 of 92 Old 02-10-2015, 02:52 AM
Kip-on-truckin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Garage
I dont have too much knowledge on front ends, but as i understand it that in general terms having to realign a vehicle is usually the result of a tire size change. Assuming we all stick with factory sized tires (why would change? Edpecially the fronts) its possible we may never have to touch up the alignment. Hitting something hard enough to bend something is going to be obvious.

As to weight, this rig is actually pretty light. My scale ticket says 5440 with my 230 of blubber in it. My chevy 3/4 van lwb was 5900. A 5200lb town and country sounds about right.
post #67 of 92 Old 02-10-2015, 08:21 AM
FlyingVan

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
I guess anything is possible, but I have never seen or heard it before, until now. I wouldn't be worried about it though.
post #68 of 92 Old 02-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Brian P

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Abusive driving habits can break stuff, too.

Don't floor the accelerator with the steering turned well to the side. High angle with low torque and speed is fine for the outer CV joint, and low angle with high torque and speed is fine, but all three of (1) angle, (2) torque, (3) rotation speed is the worst-case condition.

Don't spin tires in snow excessively, either, and really, really don't do this with the steering turned well to the side. Same reason.

I've never had to do CV joints or boots in any vehicle that I've ever owned, and I've gone past 400,000 km on a couple of them.
post #69 of 92 Old 04-07-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
pblue

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My 2013 and 2012 toyota minivans weigh about 500 pounds less than my PM 2500 high roof (empty), but don't have the huge rpm increase when dropping from 6th to 5th gear at highway speed. My Promaster feels like an additional load is on the engine right before it jumps to 5th.

Why the difference?
post #70 of 92 Old 04-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Chance

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblue View Post
My 2013 and 2012 toyota minivans weigh about 500 pounds less than my PM 2500 high roof (empty), but don't have the huge rpm increase when dropping from 6th to 5th gear at highway speed. My Promaster feels like an additional load is on the engine right before it jumps to 5th.

Why the difference?
Transmission ratios between 5th and 6th are very different for these two vehicles. The Toyota has a very small jump between gears of only 17%. The ProMaster by comparison has a very wide jump of approximately 46%.

Because of this difference, I'm guessing the PM is programmed to hold 6th as long as possible before downshifting. The Toyota can downshift before the engine gets to full load and still maintain high efficiency. Plus the shift itself will be much less noticeable due to the lower RPM jump.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page