User Tag List

post #1 of 85 Old 12-04-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
pblue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 engine failure at 109,000 miles

I am an expediter that drives 10,000 miles per month. I use only full synthetic oil that meets the Chrysler oil spec, and I stick to the 10k miles oil change interval, because I needed maximum life out of the Promaster drive train. The van threw a check engine light that two dealers confirmed was a "number 5 cylinder misfire. "

After a fuel system clean, throttle plate clean, tuneup, new spark plug coil, new fuel injector, new fuel injector coil, numerous tests by the Promaster technician and two Pentastar engine technicians, escalation and tests suggested by Chrysler technical support, and three more hours of detailed inspection and testing, the conclusion is that the #5 cylinder has failed. So I either pay for an engine rebuild or a new engine.

I found out online that this Pentastar engine has a history of this type of failure on the #2 & #4 cylinders, and that Chrysler agreed to fix them at no charge and extend the warranty on that side of the engine to 150k miles.

I opened a case with Chrysler corporate, and have now been offered the repair of the #5 cylinder for $1,500 plus the $1,000 the dealer has already charged. Or I can get a new assembly line engine for a discounted price of $3,700.

My truck is my business. After this mess, and my lack of confidence in the reliability of this van, I have to admit to myself that this purchase was a mistake, and I should have bought the more expensive Sprinter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 12-04-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
pblue

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Let me add that I have always been concerned about the constant downshiftsof the Promaster ddrive train. I've driven four different Promasters and they all downshift. The problem is that at 60 mph, the downshifting increases engine speed by about 1000 rpms, and tow haul mode doesn't make it better.

Driving the van through hill country, or just on a highway with several slopes for bridges will cause the drive train to downshift several times per hour. Do the math on an 8+ hour drive. I have never seen any engine do this in my 1.2 million miles of driving cargo vans and minivans.

Last winter, after driving through the midwest on an interstate highway with hills at night in below 25 degree weather, the engine was hot at the gas station, and the electronic fan was running
post #3 of 85 Old 12-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Adrian

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about your situation especially since your van is your livelihood. I understand the downshifts, all my driving is hilly interstate with a 3,000 lbs trailer.
I traded my gas PM van for the diesel a few weeks ago. I go on my first interstate 1800 mile trip tomorrow on Friday with the trailer connected. Locally driving the diesel on the interstate with the trailer the van does not downshift at all at highway speeds. It holds 6th in Drive, hills or headwind never downshifts and feels very solid accelerating with a trailer in headwind. On the scales with trailer total weight, 8,800 lbs.

post #4 of 85 Old 12-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Vale72

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Things that can happen. Also with a Sprinter. A bit more expensive on a Sprinter...
An engine failure may cost double...
post #5 of 85 Old 12-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Adrian

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Yes it can happen to any engine and vehicle. Even to large semis designed for 1 million miles !
post #6 of 85 Old 12-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Vale72

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
About the diesel, if you write in Google "Sprinter engine failure" you can find a lot of discussions and pictures. If you write Ducato engine failure or Ducato motore fuso, you can find almost nothing.
The Ftp diesel engines are simple and strong.
The 3.0 diesel is also used on generators and in marine applications.

Last edited by Vale72; 12-04-2014 at 04:07 PM.
post #7 of 85 Old 12-04-2014, 05:10 PM
30 Ounce

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
This is disheartening. Did they say exactly what failed? Cracked ring, broken piston? The Pentastar is Chryslers workhorse engine. They put it in almost every vehicle they make. I hope they know what is causing these failures and have a salution.

Just curious what oil you run.
post #8 of 85 Old 12-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Allhandsondeck

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Man, that sucks! One of my biggest reasons for purchasing this van was the reliability/efficiency of the pentastar engine, I hope this isn't a regular reoccurring event.
post #9 of 85 Old 12-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Jmgasior

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
This proves that all vehicles,need to be bought with a long as possible warrenty,when I nought my sprinter I nought the warrenty and good thing,after a year it's still not fixed,they have already spent over 9000$costs me 100$ per visit and that's bullshit as they never fix it,also hot Chrysler corporate on it,took a month to talk to some one who could do anything and after a couple of minutes of talking,mentioned the lawyer word and he hung up on me,GREAT. SERVICE,
post #10 of 85 Old 12-04-2014, 06:50 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Go over to the Sprinter forum and read about the Sprinters that throw their crankshaft pulleys, blow holes in #5 Pistons, suffer from Black Death, EGR valve failures, ECU failures, the list goes on and on and it usually starts at about 75k miles on Sprinters and double what a Chrysler part costs, not to mention the MBZ stealership hourly rates!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page