Rear Speakers Uconnect radio - Page 9 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #81 of 188 Old 10-31-2014, 11:33 PM
proeddie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut PM159HI
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 21
Thanked 260 Times in 198 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makevx73 View Post
I think if you disconnect the positive for either the right or left rear you'll be able to test your theory. If doing that causes one of the corresponding speakers on that side to go dead then you're correct. If not I'd say the rear connections are really there for speakers not installed, in the rear. If that is the case the search will be where the rear wires end so you can use them. Or you can just run new wires all the way to the dash and splice them in.
When I bought my van, the front driver side door speaker was bad. I replaced it myself... Just a $6 part and my selling dealer was two states away!

When I disconnected the woofer, the tweeter still worked. In other words, the rear speaker wires are for rear speakers and the front wires feed both the woofers and tweeters on each side up front.

Bottom line, the orange and green wires are for rear speakers. IMHO...

Post #55 in this thread may be the answer as to where the wires from the radio go on their way to the upfit connector location.

Ed

Last edited by proeddie; 10-31-2014 at 11:39 PM.
proeddie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 188 Old 10-31-2014, 11:38 PM
makevx73
Senior Member
 
makevx73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 597
Thanks: 28
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeddie View Post

When I disconnected the woofer, the tweeter still worked. In other words, the rear speaker wires are for rear speakers and the front wires feed both the woofers and tweeters on each side up front.

Bottom line, the orange and green wires are for rear speakers. IMHO...

Ed
That's what I thought would happen! Think you hit the colors dead on too!

Some info on the upfitters connector appears to verify the wire colors and speaker locations also:

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/iph/ip...fradioconn.pdf
makevx73 is offline  
post #83 of 188 Old 11-01-2014, 01:55 AM
Flash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Wow the last few posts of this thread make perfect sense. I checked out the color coding in the service manual CD & it verifies the coloring (see pic). Sarness post #55 looks like one option for me or just performing a military splice job at the connector that plugs into the back of the radio with the orange, orange & black wire for the left rears & the green & green & black wires for the right rears. Also makevx73 post #80 helped put it all together for me as well. Can Sarness or anyone else expand upon the exact location of that connector? Passengers foot well under the blower fan? Ill check it out in the Am. Thanx guys, the freakin dealers are clueless & collectively we know more about these vans than they do. Ill let youz know how I make out
Flash is online now  
 
post #84 of 188 Old 11-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Flash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarness View Post
You can find the other end of where the upfitter connector connects to in the passengers foot well under the blower fan.
Found it! Right where ya said it was. The rear speaker wires (green+, green & blk-, orange+, orange & blk-) run into it. I'm gonna start by running the sheared bare speaker wires into the corresponding connector to ensure that the speakers in fact work. If so I would need to know what size pins I would require to crimp the speaker wire over in order to plug the 4 wires in direct without using a mating connector plug which I wouldn't even know what size or where to find, then electrical taping it up.


I see where proeddie in post #39 suggests using Tyco part # 1-480704-0 plug housing 6 pos and the pins are Tyco part # 60620-1 pin 20-14 awg. That is for the $35 upfit connector option which I don't have so I do not believe these would be applicable to the connector in the passenger side foot well under the blower that I am tying into...


PS: Thinkin 'bout goin to Radio Shack & see what they would suggest or even a good auto parts store. Any suggestions/thoughts?
Flash is online now  
post #85 of 188 Old 11-01-2014, 03:44 PM
makevx73
Senior Member
 
makevx73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 597
Thanks: 28
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
PS: Thinkin 'bout goin to Radio Shack & see what they would suggest or even a good auto parts store. Any suggestions/thoughts?
Good idea. There are plenty of quailty connections available for stuff like this. I have the upfitters connectors and probably won't chase down the matching male ends when I decide to connect to them. As long as there is enough wire I'll just cut of the connectors and crimp on my own. Yes the factory ones are very nice but there are others that will do the job just fine.

Glad everything is working out for you!
makevx73 is offline  
post #86 of 188 Old 11-01-2014, 04:36 PM
proeddie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut PM159HI
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 21
Thanked 260 Times in 198 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Found it! Right where ya said it was. The rear speaker wires (green+, green & blk-, orange+, orange & blk-) run into it. I'm gonna start by running the sheared bare speaker wires into the corresponding connector to ensure that the speakers in fact work. If so I would need to know what size pins I would require to crimp the speaker wire over in order to plug the 4 wires in direct without using a mating connector plug which I wouldn't even know what size or where to find, then electrical taping it up.


I see where proeddie in post #39 suggests using Tyco part # 1-480704-0 plug housing 6 pos and the pins are Tyco part # 60620-1 pin 20-14 awg. That is for the $35 upfit connector option which I don't have so I do not believe these would be applicable to the connector in the passenger side foot well under the blower that I am tying into...


PS: Thinkin 'bout goin to Radio Shack & see what they would suggest or even a good auto parts store. Any suggestions/thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by makevx73 View Post
Good idea. There are plenty of quailty connections available for stuff like this. I have the upfitters connectors and probably won't chase down the matching male ends when I decide to connect to them. As long as there is enough wire I'll just cut of the connectors and crimp on my own. Yes the factory ones are very nice but there are others that will do the job just fine.

Glad everything is working out for you!
I did buy the Tyco connectors, they were pretty cheap and should insure a good fit.

Flash,
Sounds like progress!

I appears that you have the wiring diagram on CD. If so, you should be able to follow the orange and green from the radio to the upfit, and probably will see the connector under the blower. There may be a part number indicated for the connector.

Places like McMaster, Digikey, Mouser have lots of connectors like these available and they are usually just a few $$.

On the other hand, I have searched high and low for the 12V 50A upfit power connector - even with the part number, it's been impossible to find.

Ed
proeddie is offline  
post #87 of 188 Old 11-01-2014, 08:42 PM
makevx73
Senior Member
 
makevx73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 597
Thanks: 28
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeddie View Post
I did buy the Tyco connectors, they were pretty cheap and should insure a good fit.
Where and how much? I'll certainly use them if it's not too much $$ or difficult to get them.

My thoughts are if they're easily removed, since you have to splice wire to the other side to continue you're wiring, it would be just as easy to just use something else if the OEM is hard to get.
makevx73 is offline  
post #88 of 188 Old 11-02-2014, 12:47 AM
proeddie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut PM159HI
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 21
Thanked 260 Times in 198 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Mouser electronics has the parts by Tyco number. You must order the plastic part and the metal pins separately.

Ed
proeddie is offline  
post #89 of 188 Old 11-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Flash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Just mocked it up today & drum roll... It works! Gonna run some permanent 16 gauge speaker wire & snake it up to the front under dash/foot well connector on the passenger side. Will probably cut the connector & perform a hardwire solder job. Thanx for all the feedback, greatly appreciated...
Flash is online now  
post #90 of 188 Old 11-02-2014, 08:54 PM
makevx73
Senior Member
 
makevx73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 597
Thanks: 28
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Just mocked it up today & drum roll... It works! Gonna run some permanent 16 gauge speaker wire & snake it up to the front under dash/foot well connector on the passenger side. Will probably cut the connector & perform a hardwire solder job. Thanx for all the feedback, greatly appreciated...
makevx73 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome