Rear Speakers Uconnect radio - Page 17 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #161 of 188 Old 08-05-2016, 03:39 PM
proeddie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
"I also know that there was a post with directions to turn on the rear speakers yourself and I have been able to do that."

Sounds like the radios are similar. Does the connector look like this?

If so, it may be possible to determine what pins would be needed for this connector. Also, based on these pinouts (ie. pin 45 and 49 for right rear speaker), can you push a wire into the correct holes and see if you hear anything with the software fader set for front and back?

ed

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum
The Following User Says Thank You to proeddie For This Useful Post:
dartjohn (08-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 188 Old 08-05-2016, 11:40 PM
Charged021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartjohn View Post
Charged,

As I noted in my question, I read the entire post several times. From it I was able to figure out that there are lots of people who have tried and don't know the answer to this question. I saw that you didn't think it was doable on the PMC. I also saw that nobody noted trying to go directly from the radio with speaker wire. I know from pulling the radio that there are rear speaker inputs on the back of the radio that have no wires going into them on the wiring harness. I also know that there was a post with directions to turn on the rear speakers yourself and I have been able to do that. What I don't know is where to find the pins that connect the wires going into the wiring harness to the harness so that I can run the speaker wires through the harness that plugs to the back of the radio.
The majority of cargo PMC's do not come with rear speakers, I've seen some that do but they are uncommon. If you have a wagon or cargo with the rear speakers installed in the rear and fader controls on the stereo you might be able to make it work.
I don't drive a wagon, nor did either of the cargo's I drove have rear speakers. Ive tried the methods below, but not with a wagon, or with a van having fader controls and rear speakers.
The only way you'll be able to tell if there is signal coming out of the plug is to either A. Put a multimeter on AC voltage and probe the output with the volume raised/lowered. B. Disassemble the plug itself. Remove the pins/wire for one of the front channels and in insert them into a rear channel, re assemble and test. You do not need to put the red locking retainer clip back on to test. They are quite a pain to remove and reinsert FYI.

Was #021, now #088.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charged021 For This Useful Post:
dartjohn (08-07-2016)
post #163 of 188 Old 08-07-2016, 02:17 PM
dartjohn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Guys, while I appreciate your information, nobody is reading my question. I just want to know if anybody knows where I can get the wire pin connectors that go into the radio harness? ("radiorearplug" in picture). I just want to run wires for the rear speakers into that harness.

If it works, I'll post a summary of everything I did in here for all to read. If it doesn't work, I let you know that too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiorearplug.jpg (65.6 KB, 13 views)

post #164 of 188 Old 08-07-2016, 03:52 PM
proeddie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
dj,

Just trying to help you get past the Charged021 post that said, "Can't do it in the City" first. My thinking was to push some wires in where the contact go and see if you get sound, especially if you seem to have had success with the software part... then if you know the sound is feeding those connection points, you can search for the contacts that you would add to the connector. I was just trying to make sure you had sound available before hunting for the pins.

You will find the crimp on contacts to insert into that connector if you search for parts that go with that connector... it's a TYCO 776932-1 connector. Google should find you lots of places that sell them along with the manufacturer website - TYCO.

ed

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum

Last edited by proeddie; 08-07-2016 at 03:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to proeddie For This Useful Post:
dartjohn (08-12-2016)
post #165 of 188 Old 08-09-2016, 04:38 AM
Charged021

Garage
dartjohn, I just looked back and noticed that you posted a picture of how to remove the speaker covers in the rear, clearly you have them but there aren't any wires from the factory there?

You can buy some locking female spade connectors on amazon and use those in the harness, they should fit but they are fragile and are tricky to crimp. If you are without a multimeter your best bet is to just run a test wire from the back to the front and poke it in the holes for the rear speakers like proeddie mentioned.

In reference to the " can't do it in the city", I had referred to a previous post about it not working in the city cargo, not the city wagon, which is what dartjohn is driving.

Was #021, now #088.

Last edited by Charged021; 08-09-2016 at 04:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charged021 For This Useful Post:
dartjohn (08-12-2016)
post #166 of 188 Old 08-18-2016, 02:58 PM
Derek Foote

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Radio, media, browse

I have a 14 pm with unconnected 5.0. I tried the radio,media then press browse and hold them all for 5 seconds, but can't get into th menu. Any ideas?

Thanks

Derek
post #167 of 188 Old 08-18-2016, 04:08 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
The settings menu is accessed by pushing the white gear button on the top right of the Promaster uconnect 5.

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.
post #168 of 188 Old 08-18-2016, 10:50 PM
Derek Foote

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm trying to add rear speaker but I don't have the fade option. I have the wiring upgrade. I need to access the engineering mode.
post #169 of 188 Old 08-19-2016, 04:00 AM
Charged021

Garage
Worst case visit your dealer, they can program it. I think the 14 is different than the 15,16. http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/van/introv.pdf
I can't direct link to the guide because that website is an utter hunk of **** for a mac user.

Was #021, now #088.
post #170 of 188 Old 08-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Zoomyn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
The upfitters guide has the process ONLY available for 2016's now.

For 2014 & 2015 models it looks like they've changed programmable format on the last system 'update' to force owners back into the dealers...

Old instructions:

- RADIO and MEDIA buttons then, shortly after that, while still holding RADIO and MEDIA, press the BROWSE/ENTER button. <still works>
- Touch the line for AUD Eng Menu <unavailable>
- Touch the line for CARLAYOUT: 6(0x06) <unavailable>
- CarLayout: 6(0x06) Front Speakers Only; 8(0x08) Front and Rear Speakers <unavailable>

And it looks like to exit the now crippled engineering menu screen it is the same key combination used to access it (unknown if that saves any changes).

New instructions:

Dealer only programming.... using their 'WiTech' system - the cheapest available is their wiTECH LITE Kit for $3650USD & $1800USD subscription.

I'm sure they had good reasons, this minor change fell under a larger demand to remove security risks when their systems were shown to be at risk of remote hacking, but the numbers suggest it is also to reach into our pockets and steal food off our tables 'after-the-sale' when it was a merely an at will owner/user adjustment before.

Just in round numbers, if they've sold 30,000 2014/2015 PM's and eventually half of them want the rear speakers enabled that would be $1,125,000 in revenue for the dealerships if they charge $75 per vehicle.

2014 Diesel 2500 window wagon
Michelin 245x75x16 Defenders
11 June 2015 delivery

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page