User Tag List

post #1 of 46 Old 11-18-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
kcudak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Adding an Onan Generator and rear a/c

I special ordered my new Ram Promaster 1500 with high roof in sandstone color with the options I wanted. It should be ready for delivery around the first of the year. I have 5 show dog golden retrievers and travel all over FL with them so I want to add a Coleman Mach 8 low profile roof a/c, and a new Onan Series RV QG 2.8 generator to run it.
Question: Where can I safely mount the generator? Is there room underneath to mount it? I really prefer to mount it inside within a firebox maybe behind the rear wheel well??? Since they are building my promaster now is there anything I can have the dealer have them add to make after market generator mounting easier? Any ideas or suggestions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 11-18-2013, 05:34 PM
bobojay

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
If it was me having owned all 3 fuel types of Onan RV gensets over time, I'd go with a Honda or Yamaha instead. Much, much quieter and smoother running, and will use less fuel.
Now having said that, you know the Promaster comes with a second fuel tap on the fuel tank just for this purpose, so that should be an easy setup.
Winnebago is building class B RV's on the Promaster with the Onan genset, but no body has seen one yet out in the field.
You can buy lockable generator boxes that sit outside the vehicle and can be mounted on a trailer hitch type setup to hold them while running.
Good luck on this

Current 2013 Sprinter Class B RV Van owner
Our Second Sprinter RV (and last)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
post #3 of 46 Old 11-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Chance

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcudak View Post
.....cut......

Question: Where can I safely mount the generator? Is there room underneath to mount it? I really prefer to mount it inside within a firebox maybe behind the rear wheel well??? Since they are building my promaster now is there anything I can have the dealer have them add to make after market generator mounting easier? Any ideas or suggestions please.
I doubt there is anything the factory can do to prep your PM's body so you can install a generator inside the van. To me that just seems too custom for a manufacturer to do on an assembly line unless it was already an option. Having said that I'd ask anyway since their is nothing to lose.

I would look at the Winnebago Travato as soon as they reach dealers to see how the generator is mounted. I would also ask, or see, if Winnebago is using a new lower-profile generator if mounted under the floor. A standard Onan generator mounted under a floor that is only 21 inches high doesn't leave much ground clearance.

The main difference between a Travato and your van is that the Travato is an extended model with greater overhang behind the rear axle. I think it's around an extra 14 inches or so. If the Travato's generator is mounted at the very back, it's possible the same can't be duplicated with your van. Having stated that, I expect the Travato generator to be closer to the front since the van's gas tank is under the front seats and it has to supply the generator.

Good luck and let us know what you find out because many of us will likely be doing the same.

post #4 of 46 Old 11-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Chance

By the way, after looking at some pictures of the Travato prototypes that have been displayed at shows, it seems the generator is located at the front as I expected. The generator's exhaust pipe can be seen clearly coming out from under van just behind the driver's door. It looks too small to be the van's engine exhaust, so it's most likely the generator's.

http://www.lichtsinn.com/Blog/image....2FDSC00278.jpg
post #5 of 46 Old 11-18-2013, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
kcudak

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Onan generator installed on PM

Onan just came out with a new 2.8 microlite generator that is only 12.8" high x 22"L X 16.3"W. It will have enough power to run the 13,500 BTU a/c that I want to get with power to spare. I actually have a Honda 3000 EU "portable" generator that I was originally going to mount on a trailer tray in the back but that is a pain in the neck because I would have to refuel it myself and also worry about it being stolen even if in a lock box. This new onan passes state park noise restrictions and will be quiet enough to be parked at dog shows and keep my goldens comfortable.
I'll keep you guys posted on what I find out. Thanks so much for your input!
post #6 of 46 Old 02-08-2014, 03:54 PM
catalin

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I'd love to see some pictures of this generator when you've set it all up.
post #7 of 46 Old 03-18-2014, 12:27 AM
Bob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just purchased a Winnebago TREND. It uses the Promaster 3500 chases and the chases is extended so that the coach is 23 feet long. The Onan 2800 is located between the frame rails and just behind the rear wheels. Make sure that you tap into the fuel return line from the engine to the tank. Use a regulator to drop down the fuel pressure when the engine and generator are running. Also; using the fuel return ling will prevent the generator from running the tank dry.
Bob
post #8 of 46 Old 03-18-2014, 11:09 AM
zwarte
Super Moderator

Location: Boxley Valley, Buffalo National River, Arkansas, United States
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome, Bob. Would love to see pictures of your Trend.
post #9 of 46 Old 03-18-2014, 06:51 PM
carryon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i dont know much about mounting generators in the back but id assume you would want an air tight box so noise doesnt get in. and of course have exhaust ports.
post #10 of 46 Old 03-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryon View Post
i dont know much about mounting generators in the back but id assume you would want an air tight box so noise doesnt get in. and of course have exhaust ports.
The Trend I saw at RV show had generator mounted under the coach's floor, so it was wide open and able to vent for cooling. The exhaust exited from under the floor at the very back side on driver's side. Was typical of many RVs, particularly Van-based Class Bs that mount generator where spare tire normally goes.

A possible issue with mounting generator under PM van is that floor appears much lower than in a Trend. A Travato should give a great illustration of clearances.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page