post #1 of 9 Old 01-04-2017, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
SteveSS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Bought a new PM in Canada recently?

Forum newbie here. I live outside Victoria, BC, in Canada. I am looking into factory ordering a 2017 2500 diesel for DIY RV conversion. I'm interested in other people's experiences, including BC dealer recommendations, general factory order advise, wait times, etc.

Also, are there additional options beyond those shown on the RAM PM "build" website? Anyone have a current list with Canadian prices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-04-2017, 07:24 AM
ShaunB

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Steve! Welcome.

I recently ordered a 3500 Ext. Diesel and started a thread that shows my options, rationale and Cdn prices. The Cdn website is accurate in terms of available options and prices. I went with 3500 to get the extended length, the extra 14 inches will make a difference in my build. Here is the thread I'm referring to. http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...2&postcount=15

Being in ON I don't have any BC dealer recos. There is still a delay on diesel production for North America, although as of yesterday my dealer told me that he "hears" that production will start in January. I ordered Nov 15th and I was told 16 weeks to delivery. I'm am not expecting that to happen, more like 20 weeks.

Take a look at my options to give yourself some ideas, and search on this forum and ask lots of questions. Everyone on here is very helpful.

Shaun

PS update your location and add a signature.

2016 3500 Ext. Diesel, Black - My Daily Driver on it's way to becoming an adventure van.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShaunB For This Useful Post:
SteveSS (01-04-2017)
post #3 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
SteveSS

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Shawn, I'm glad to hear I have another Canadian for company. I am just now getting started. I have 18 dealers to choose from out here on the wetcoast. So far, only 2 have mentioned the diesel production delay and neither one think diesel orders are being accepted now. But I won't worry until I've heard from more dealers over the next few days. Was your dealer able to officially upload your diesel order, or are they sitting on it until they get the OK?

PS - Did you opt for the 3500 just to get extra length? Or do you expect to need the extra load capacity too?

SteveSS
Ordered 01/20/17: 2017 3500 159 EXT gasser for a DIY RV conversion.

Last edited by SteveSS; 01-06-2017 at 11:26 AM.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 01:55 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Garage
Keep in mind the 159” wb 2500 and 159” wb 3500 have the exact same carrying capacity and towing capacity! Buy the 2500 to save about $1000 as the two vans are identical except for the number on the side as far as capacity is concerned. 3500’s have a rear antisway bar but that is a $175 item not a $1000 dollar difference. Unless you just feel like you are more of a man (or woman) when driving a 3500, which of course is worth $1,000

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #5 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 04:52 PM
ShaunB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSS View Post
Shawn, I'm glad to hear I have another Canadian for company. I am just now getting started. I have 18 dealers to choose from out here on the wetcoast. So far, only 2 have mentioned the diesel production delay and neither one think diesel orders are being accepted now. But I won't worry until I've heard from more dealers over the next few days. Was your dealer able to officially upload your diesel order, or are they sitting on it until they get the OK?

PS - Did you opt for the 3500 just to get extra length? Or do you expect to need the extra load capacity too?
Hi Steve,

My order is actually in the system (as of Nov 15), but still no VIN assigned. Up to that point the dealer was not able to enter it, but I believe around that time the order system opened up for diesels. I am ordering the 3500 for the exclusive reason of getting the extended version. Based on my learnings from this forum, you will be well under the maximum weight rating with a typical campervan build, even with many of the heavy options like water tanks and batteries.

Originally I was disappointed to have to wait to get the van, as my plan was to build it over the winter, however if I get it in March or April the weather will be more conducive to a self build. I've been keeping busy ordering various components. I have the Thinsulate, backup camera and rearview mirror monitor, two sets of ford transit double seats, Eternabond, and just today I ordered a maxxair fan (7500K) from a company in Nova Scotia (best Cdn price including shipping I could find). They are called www.RVPARTSCANADA.com. This will be my first order, I have no affiliation with them.

Shaun

2016 3500 Ext. Diesel, Black - My Daily Driver on it's way to becoming an adventure van.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 04:59 PM
ShaunB

Garage
Steve, one more thing...

Seeing that you are in Victoria, I imagine you will travel on Ferries quite often. One thing that I hear (you will have to check with BCFerries) is that being under 20 feet results in a lower fare, the extended is 20'9", the reg 159 WB is less than 20'.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
SteveSS

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDinNHandAZ
Keep in mind the 159 wb 2500 and 159 wb 3500 have the exact same carrying capacity and towing capacity! Buy the 2500 to save about $1000

RD, the 2017 brochure disagrees on diesel Max Payloads: 2500=3700; 3500=4120; 3500EXT=4020, but heck, they are really close. And 3700# is plenty adequate for a DIY Class-B RV conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB
My order is actually in the system (as of Nov 15), but still no VIN assigned. Up to that point the dealer was not able to enter it, ..... today I ordered a maxxair fan (7500K) from a company in Nova Scotia (best Cdn price including shipping I could find). They are called www.RVPARTSCANADA.com

So far, all the dealers I've talked to say they can't submit diesel orders right now. Thanks for the NS tip. That's the fan I want, too.

Quote: Originally Posted by ShaunB
Seeing that you are in Victoria, I imagine you will travel on Ferries quite often.... I hear being under 20 feet results in a lower fare.

Ha! Right you are. We islanders are painfully aware of our dependence on BC Ferries, just another cost of living in paradise. 20 feet is the max for the standard one-way fare ($73.65 w/driver) then add $6.50/ft over that. Hey, but we don't have to shovel rain

SteveSS
Ordered 01/20/17: 2017 3500 159 EXT gasser for a DIY RV conversion.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSS For This Useful Post:
RDinNHandAZ (01-06-2017)
post #8 of 9 Old 01-06-2017, 08:01 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the update. I know the gas is always a bit higher payload than the diesel as the diesel system is about 125 lbs heavier so the payloads are that much less. I am reasonably sure earlier vans had the same GVRW for those two but obviously that can and did change. We have commented here for some time the three levels of van are mainly distinguished by slightly different springs, and perhaps different brake pads on the 1500. I have read recently on the forum that the final drive ratio is lower for the 3500 too, but I have seen no confirmation. Perhaps FCA is going to really make them different capacities. None of these differences should make much difference as you note.
BTW ferries in the Eastern Canadian Provinces also charge more above 20’, although we did ride a couple of free short crossings.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel

Last edited by RDinNHandAZ; 01-06-2017 at 08:03 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-07-2017, 11:27 AM
ShaunB

Garage
I'm happy to hear I will only pay an extra $6.50 per ferry trip .

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page