Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman4040 View Post
Thanks for the remarks MsNomer.
I'm not a 'bird' photographer, would rather do these daily-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/medici...7670471586742/
But birds are closer

And since we're all getting to know one another kinda here's two miles up and from my yard-
It's also my most popular image on Flickr-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/medici...7647550146020/

NOW back to the inverter. Please someone confirm that the Xantrex Freedom HS2000 does have
the low voltage cutoff that one can set at say 30%.

Remember I'm just amassing all the parts and pieces and handing the rig over to an expert each
step of the way.

Thanks again.
Robert
Hi,
This is the manual for the Xantrex inverter: http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inv...Rev-C)_ENG.pdf
Just search the text for "low voltage" -- its not a single voltage and depends on conditions, but it does apprently have a low voltage shutdown.

It sounds like for your needs, doing away withe the inverter and just using 12 volts might be feasible, and this would not only make the system simpler, but also save a fair bit of money. If I had it to do again, this is probably the way I would go.

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryBIS For This Useful Post:
medicineman4040 (01-02-2017)
post #33 of 42 Old 01-02-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
medicineman4040

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Gary. We've got a lot of stuff coming in but still quite a bit of time to decide on the electrical needs. I would like to borrow your tractor for the
ceiling fan installs though!!
Thanks for doing the leg-work on the Xantrex. I still think we'll lean that way...maybe in the end just flip a coin! It's just that we're hooked on our laptops and processing the images we got that particular day and it would be a nice way to unwind in the campground processing away.
I just cannot wrap my mind around electricity and get it that the little Dells (laptops) can be run from the auxillary battery(s) we'll install. If that became clear (I think I need a picture) it would
further the cause to go all DC.

post #34 of 42 Old 01-02-2017, 04:21 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
I have a small Dell laptop (I run Mac OS on it no use for Windows) I use for those few times I need an actual computer rather than a tablet and I always run/charge it with a 12vdc cord to the lighter with no problems. I think you do not understand most laptops (all?) do not actually run on 110 ac but rather low voltage D.C. The ac is converted to dc in the ac power cord set. Unless you have a microwave or dorm fridge 110 vac is totally unnecessary.

Look at the power cord for your laptop the output voltage should be marked on it and you will probably discover it actually runs on 14.4vdc or similar voltage and running it of a 12vdc battery system is no problem. Even if it's 18vdc I think you will discover you can run it off the 12vdc with the correct adapter.

Don't forget - your laptop doesn't have a 110vac battery in it!

Listen to GaryBIS he's the resident expert on these things here and will not mislead you!

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.

Last edited by keeponvaning; 01-02-2017 at 04:49 AM.
post #35 of 42 Old 01-02-2017, 08:25 AM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
I agree that you should be able to avoid AC, but I question whether you should. One thing many of us here have learned the hard way is that you don't want to make hard decisions too soon. When I started mine, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. We had been hiking/packing from a truck tent setup for 10 years and had very workable routines. What we didn't realize was how much farther the van could expand our capabilities. While the cabinetry is almost exactly what I originally designed, the electrical expanded considerably. It would have been 1000 times easier to expand the electrical to begin with.

Simple case in point: In the truck tent, we avoided overnights in the winter because it was too cold to comfortably make dinner and breakfast. The sleeping part was fine. As older folk, we need regular conditioning, so getting in shape was tough in the spring. Now, as long as the daytime weather allows a hike, we can hike all day at our nearby state park, which in the winter is almost as good as boondocking.

This weekend, we plugged in the van and turned on the AC electric heater. Dinner was lasagna I had prepared at home and reheated in the AC microwave. Breakfast was hot oatmeal and soup made with hot water from our AC water kettle. When we returned to the van yesterday after a short hike, we made nachos in the AC microwave before heading home. All of this could have been accomplished with nothing more than an all-weather extension cord threaded into the van from the back bumper. This capability can be had for less than $100 including the appliances and can, if you wish, be completely separate from your DC circuits.

That's what we started with. We had one 100Ah battery for the DC. Then we realized we liked that capability so much, we really would like to at least use the MW when we weren't plugged in. That and other considerations led to inverter, second battery and solar. Then we realized we sure would like some heat when we're not plugged in, so now we're retrofitting a gas-fired heater.

Now RD'S gonna remind you that you can do all that cooking on the portable butane stove. Yes you can. You know which you prefer, or at least you think you do. You won't really know until you've put in a few trips.

So even if your present needs suggest you can get away with just DC, I suggest you at least put in that extension cord. I really suggest you put in the entire system with inverter, etc., you've been already planning. This is not a good time in the build process to unnecessarily limit your options.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsNomer For This Useful Post:
GaryBIS (01-02-2017), medicineman4040 (01-02-2017), Quest4Adv (01-02-2017), Roblee (01-02-2017)
post #36 of 42 Old 01-02-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
medicineman4040

(Thread Starter)
MsNomer thanks for your input.
I've already schemed a wiring route for a future panel
and agree at this point---while sitting around waiting for all the puzzle pieces to arrive---to plate a bumper AC access and it's
route to 'power central'.
Do very much appreciate your input as well as everyone else's here. The knowledge here is a treasure box.
post #37 of 42 Old 01-02-2017, 08:50 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
MsN is correct about have 110 and you should most definitely plan for it
(be sure to use stranded, not solid wire) . A cheapl HF 2000 w inverter for $120 is more than adaquate for any use you would most likely have. All these fancy Nancy super duper inverters are great but for 99% of the people out there a total waste of money. Unless you have extremely sensitive electronics you are only fooling yourself. A microwave is $60 if it burns up in several years (highly unlikely) toss it and buy a new one, TVs will run fine and even better on D.C. If you carefully shop. Preplanning and wiring for Ac shouldn't cost more than $200 plus the cost of a inverter but you can still have 110 ac without needing an inverter if you stay in campgrounds all the time with ac as you indicated.

Always remember KISS! In the future you will realize what you really needed vs what you did and you will look back and ask yourself "why didn't I do that". What everyone else needs isn't necessarily what you need or want. Most of us here are in a constant modifying mode and always adding or changing something we thought was fantastic for something more realistic and better.

Personally, I couldn't camp without a microwave but others here, not to mention names (RD), have no use for one. I wish I had a shower with hot water but in reality I have easily got away without one. A full time heater would be nice but I haven't frozen to death yet even waking up on 7 degree mornings and my little 110v electric space heater is enough to keep the chill off it I want to run it of the inverter.

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.

Last edited by keeponvaning; 01-02-2017 at 08:58 AM.
post #38 of 42 Old 01-02-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
medicineman4040

(Thread Starter)
Great help Keeponvanning

More and more great ideas keep on coming in, than you very much for your suggestions.
Luckily Poof and I are use to cold and going without a lot of things. If you're bored this is a snippet
from a winter hike we do yearly. I think this one was a 'warm' one

The Following User Says Thank You to medicineman4040 For This Useful Post:
Quest4Adv (01-02-2017)
post #39 of 42 Old 01-02-2017, 05:16 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Despite my reputation as a luddite and microwave hater I would put 110V shore power in the van, add the magic of solar, have a studly simple battery set (<200AH), an inverter (I too think the sine wave will be unnecessary) and a battery interconnect to charge off the van when needed, which should be seldom if the solar is thought out well. BUT think 12Volt FIRST and if the task can be done on 12Volts DO IT that way. All 110 volt/inverter solutions are inefficient as the inverter takes AT LEAST 10% and is often running when nothing is attached so the reality is worse than that. I also think it is easy to spend money you don’t need to because someone has done something at the edge of technology. Remember this ain’t rocket science and shouldn’t be priced like it was. KIS. The Butane stove is better than a microwave partly because the food is better heated not radared. If you don't believe me heat a bun in the microwave or on a toaster,- toaster wins. If you are willing to eat microwaved food, add one.

One other issue. I have my van insured as an RV reasonably with every possible benefit including trip interruption and rental car payment, towing, etc. ad nauseam. The insurance company requires you to have all the features of a Class B RV which includes, cooking facilities, bathroom facilities, bed, water and waste water storage, etc. AND 110Volt shore power!
MsNomer, KOV and GaryBIS (and a bunch of others here) have experience which along with the sense humans normally possess is worth paying attention to. Me-........ meh, perhaps think hard when I comment.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #40 of 42 Old 01-02-2017, 11:31 PM
Roblee

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Don't be surprised if you get spoiled by the comfort and ease of camping in your van. You sounded cheery at that hang but dang that looked cold. I've seen Snug's stuff-way over my head.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roblee For This Useful Post:
medicineman4040 (01-03-2017)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page