post #11 of 42 Old 12-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Quest4Adv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
There are much better battery options than the Optima which is a combo deep cycle starter battery which isn't ideal. A large AGM battery like a Universal Power 4D or Lifeline 4D would be a better choice for less money. 200 amp hours in one battery vs. just 75 amp hours per battery for the Optima.

For jumping the starter battery use an automatic charging relay with a manual combiner setting. Bluesea makes a nice one.

I like my Aims Power 2000 watt inverter/charger. Also has a 30 amp automatic transfer switch for when you're on shore power.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I'm going to jump in here since I'm in the process of putting together my electric/solar setup.

Nexus, did you compare the Aims to the Tripp Lite APS 1250 ? Found here!

Just wondering about the quality (the power difference aside)

Thanks

2015 136" HR, Diesel, Deep Cherry Red.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then... Bob Seger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 Old 12-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Zoomyn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Don't get Tripp'd up by 'Modified Sine' of that APS 1250... think square waveform vs. smooth sinusoidal, the 'pure-sine' equates to house grid power and happy appliances.

The Aims model with the 'LF' Low Frequency controls is a good utility power source, but will not have the adjustment for saving the bottom 20/30% of battery from discharge (as you had mentioned) -- "The Low battery voltage trip point can be customized from a defaulted value of 10VDC to 10.5VDC thru SW1 on the DIP switch."

2014 Diesel 2500 window wagon
Michelin 245x75x16 Defenders
11 June 2015 delivery
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomyn For This Useful Post:
Quest4Adv (12-29-2016)
post #13 of 42 Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 PM
TedV865

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
equipment designed to work on AC will usually be more happy, last longer and be more efficient with a true sine wave compared to modified sine. Loss of efficiency is the best case scenario. If you plan to use delicate electronics worst case is fried electronics. Microwave ovens are even less efficient and may overheat/burn up. My day job is delicate electronics. I looked at a "modified sine" UPS thinking how bad could it be... It's scary.. seriously.. instant reversals, spikes, mass mayhem. I returned it and spent a few more $$ for a pure sine. Output was more clean and beautiful than the main line power.
The Following User Says Thank You to TedV865 For This Useful Post:
Quest4Adv (12-29-2016)

post #14 of 42 Old 12-29-2016, 07:55 PM
Quest4Adv

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Ahhhh, I didn't catch that the aims was pure sine.

It's not that much more expensive than the Tripp

Thanks for the info

2015 136" HR, Diesel, Deep Cherry Red.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then... Bob Seger
post #15 of 42 Old 12-29-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
medicineman4040

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you every one for great responses. We're early in the electrical stuff acquistion.
So yes Google is my friend but can anyone link to the 2000w inverter-charger that is Sine Wave, can auto-switch to shore AND has a cuttoff so I don't
completely drain the batteries. I would appreciate it very much.
Noted on the coffee. That is what our backpack stove is for---canister and very fast.
Gary I bet your model is? MsNomer, yours?
Thanks for the tips on solar. Where I live (temperate rain forest) it is cloud/gloom/rain/snow/fog/sleet 300+ days a year. Yes would work when we do have Sun
but at least I'll ask the electrician to provision for a later add; best I'm willing to concede at this point.
post #16 of 42 Old 12-29-2016, 08:46 PM
GaryBIS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman4040 View Post
Thank you every one for great responses. We're early in the electrical stuff acquistion.
So yes Google is my friend but can anyone link to the 2000w inverter-charger that is Sine Wave, can auto-switch to shore AND has a cuttoff so I don't
completely drain the batteries. I would appreciate it very much.
Noted on the coffee. That is what our backpack stove is for---canister and very fast.
Gary I bet your model is? MsNomer, yours?
Thanks for the tips on solar. Where I live (temperate rain forest) it is cloud/gloom/rain/snow/fog/sleet 300+ days a year. Yes would work when we do have Sun
but at least I'll ask the electrician to provision for a later add; best I'm willing to concede at this point.
Hi,
Mine is the Tripplite APS 1250 -- its a modified sine wave, and not a pure sine wave. We don't run a lot of AC loads, but nothing we have tried has had a problem with the Triplite output. There modified sine wave inverters vary in how closely the approximate a sine wave and I think that Triplite does a good job. I have two of the Triplite inverter/chargers and both have been solid and reliable. And, Triplite answers the phone if you have a technical question.

To be honest, we use AC so little that if I were doing the whole thing over, I'd probably try to have not inverter at all and just do everything on 12 VDC.

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryBIS For This Useful Post:
Quest4Adv (12-30-2016)
post #17 of 42 Old 12-29-2016, 08:54 PM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
My inverter is a Raptor 1500W MSW. The separate charger is a NOCO. No automatic switch. We use AC almost every day for the 700W MW (uses just under 1000W), and the 800W water boiler. We are often without shore power, so inverter gets exercised.

Your lament about the cloudy weather sounds just like me a year ago.
post #18 of 42 Old 12-29-2016, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
medicineman4040

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes I live in cloudland/gloomville for a lot of the year, but it is always green and/or green and white depending on snow....really a gorgeous area upper east TN.

Now back to inverter-chargers. Something tells me all the hopeful requirements I'm looking for don't exist in one unit.
Gary I understand the desire to go all 12 VDC, would be nice but the laptops have to be run. If/when your're bored see why here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/medicineman4040/
It's our passion/hobby....we travel all over the world shooting; and at night we process to see our day's results. So when in the camper we want to do the same.

I'll keep studying, again if any discover a unit that is-
2000w
True sine wave
combo charger-inverter
has battery monitoring to cut them off at a certain level
ac-auto switching
Please let me know!

Robert
post #19 of 42 Old 12-29-2016, 11:10 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Garage
Really impressive stuff. As Pathetic as my photos and processing are I do it with a Nikon and process on my MacBookPro and I have a 12 volt adapter for it which works well. Aren’t there powerful laptops and 12 volt adapters for them? I also charge my Nikon’s battery off a USB outlet from 12 volts. I guess I could convince myself that I’d be a better photographer if I had 120 volt/sine wave but we know I won’t be. Thanks for the URL it’s great work!

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #20 of 42 Old 12-30-2016, 12:20 AM
Roblee

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Search on Amazon for 2000W pure sine inverter/charger:

Xantrex Freedom HFS 2000 Inverter Charger Pure Sine Wave 2000W - 55 Amp - 12V. A trusted brand used by many on forum. Does it all and then some. Other cheaper brands available too.

Freedom HFS 2000 Inverter/Charger Pure Sine Wave 2000W - 55 Amp - 12VTrue sine wave 120 VAC inverter/charger with built-in transfer switch. Designed for recreational and commercial applications.The Freedom HFS is equipped with quick-connect AC terminals, ignition control capability and programmable smart battery management logic. The quick-connect AC terminal on both AC input and output enables incredibly easy installation. The ignition control feature minimizes unintended battery drain. The new Freedom HFS is designed for cold harsh winter environment with temperature performance down to -20C.The Freedom HFS Inverter/Charger features true sine wave output and is designed to operate sensitive electronics like entertainment systems and appliances in boats, RV's and commercial trucks. The Freedom HFS is available in two models: 1000 watts with a 55-amp charger and a 2000 watts with a 55-amp charger.Product Features:Input Voltage: 12VAC Output: GFCI and/or Hardwire2000 watts continuous AC power Powerful fast charging 55 amp, 12 Vdc multi-stage charger 2X continuous power surge for demanding loads Cold temperature performance down to - 20C for the harsh winter environments Quality, reliability and safety that meets stringent CSA and UL458 with marine supplement standard Configurable Ignition control that helps to minimize battery drain Dead battery charging down to 0 Vdc Quick connect AC terminal block for fast and reliable installation Detachable remote panel for convenient system status monitoringProtection Features:Programmable Smart Battery Management logic to facilitate extended battery use & life. Overload, over temperature, under/over voltage protection

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page