User Tag List

post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2016, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
dnelsonid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Promaster Amateur

Sometime lurker, longtime envier(?). My family and I are in the early stages of planning a modest "dry" camper build. So far we've identified our basic needs and have a pretty well evolved design in mind. Time to get cracking.
With my innate stubbornness and fearless skill and the vast knowledge base of this community I am confident that we can achieve our goal. I am greatly looking forward to sharing the journey ahead.

D Nelson
Boise Idaho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-18-2016, 12:26 AM
jostalli

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Garage
Yes it's the starting that's the hardest part. I'm a few weeks away from finishing.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-18-2016, 09:18 AM
proeddie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Welcome!

Lots of good ideas here on the "builds" section of the forum. Plan on each project taking about 3 times longer than you thought it would... that's been my experience so far!

Ed

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum
post #4 of 8 Old 05-18-2016, 05:45 PM
MsNomer

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Ain't that the truth!!! Nothing is straight. Nothing is flat.

But it's all worth it in the end.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-18-2016, 06:12 PM
proeddie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Nothing is straight. Nothing is flat.
Wow! I wish someone had told me that a year and a half ago when I started my project!
(I thought it was just me!)

Ed

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum
post #6 of 8 Old 05-19-2016, 08:45 AM
MsNomer

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Just so you know: the ceiling and upper walls are perfect arcs of a circle with radius ~10-12 feet. A board with that curve looks straight until you try to use it for something else--then it looks warped.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Phranc

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
D,
I just "finished" my build. Obviously the amount of effort, time, and money will vary with build complexity and individual tolerances for perfection. All told, I spent approx 1000 hrs over the last year planning and building... had a great time and learned a ton.

What I learned (in addition to the "nothing is flat, nothing is straight, nothing is perpendicular, nothing is parallel" wisdom offered above)
1. If it is worth doing once, it'll probably be worth doing it again.
2. Define what "done" means to you... before you become obsessed... or go insane.
3. Measure & clearly mark all reference points (e.g. centerline floor & roof, perpendiculars to floor on wall frames, front & rear reference points for lengthwise measurements) before you put on that first piece of sound mat or insulation.
4. If you are at all worried about loading or weight distribution, weigh your van before you start... mine worked out fine but wish I had been more deliberate... I was more lucky than good.
5. Be extra nice to your spouse... they will be putting up with a lot of crazy behavior of the next several months/years.
6. Set aside approx 20% of your built budget (not including van purchase) for miscellaneous necessities... those extra little packets of screws, fittings, and tubes of adhesive really add up over the course of a build.
7. I accomplished 100% of things I put my mind to and 0% of the things I didn't... I only started a job when I was mentally ready for it (i.e. thru research, asking questions, actually reading the instruction manual)
8. Templates are your friend. I wish I had made templates or profile sheets of the floor/lower wall, middle wall, and upper wall/ceiling when my van was empty... would have saved time and improved panel fit.
9. The individuals here on the Promaster Forum are a tremendous resource... experienced and not judgmental.
10. I haven't really "finished" my build... I'm simply testing it and saving my pennies for the next round of improvements.
Best,
Phranc

Best,
Phranc

2014 3500 Ext Gas; converting to camper www.vancave.wordpress.com
post #8 of 8 Old 10-22-2016, 11:08 PM
Phillip Scott

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version