User Tag List

post #51 of 57 Old 01-18-2016, 09:09 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks to Adrian for posting up tests. My cars and trucks have been gassers generally and I have always used the cheapest oil I could run THAT MEETS THE SPECS, often wallyworld's cheaper 5 QT bottles and the cheapest filter too. I run my gassers for 200,000 miles or more (current 4 runner is at 235,000) NEVER had any oil related issues. For my PM diesel I buy an oil that meets the spec, currently I am running Kendall Euro GT-1 Full Synthetic 5w-30. It was the cheapest oil that met the spec. I have 50 years of car/motorcycle ownership with 4 cars and 4 motorcycles, 1 diesel tractor, 3 mowers and 5 2 cycle saws/trimmers/tools. Why pay more?

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 Old 02-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Andrew Crane

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Not sure if this issue has been posted about before....

I have recently learned a valuable lesson about changing the oil in our Promasters. The oil change I recently received from my dealer, went terribly wrong! It seems the cartridge filter is a big problem for Chrysler, specifically the o-ring. The o-ring, if not properly seated can pinch, which causes your oil to spew out. I made it about 30 mins from my dealer and my engine started to smoke, oil light came on and so did the check engine light, dip stick didn't have any oil on it. The tech had to do a roadside oil change on the interstate, which was super sketchy! Luckily I pulled over fast enough and no harm was caused.

I usually change my own oil, and have done 1 on my Promaster. It was a good lesson that I learned at someone else's cost. So be careful when doing your own oil change, I know I will pay more attention to this when I do my own oil change next time.

FYI - The tech told me they have had problems with Jeeps and other Chrysler vehicles that have this cartridge setup.

2014 159" Gas - Setup to carry stand up paddleboards, surfboards, kiteboarding gear and to camp in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Crane For This Useful Post:
graciejohn (05-25-2016), Quest4Adv (02-10-2016)
post #53 of 57 Old 02-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Quest4Adv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
WOW, that's scary!

2015 136" HR, Diesel, Deep Cherry Red.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then... Bob Seger
post #54 of 57 Old 05-25-2016, 01:22 AM
graciejohn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Wow.....that's scary! Would you happen to be the Starboard "Andrew Crane"?

2016 Promaster 3500 159WB Ext
post #55 of 57 Old 09-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Morris

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What oil are people using and their promaster diesels? A mechanic recommended Valvoline senthetic Diesel oil? Is there a difference between diesel synthetic?
post #56 of 57 Old 09-02-2016, 08:02 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Garage
YES! The diesel needs a LOW ASH “Euro” oil and a few meet the Chrysler MS-11106 spec. Confirm the oil meets THAT SPEC as you don’t want issues with the emissions. Some oils that meet it are: Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 Full Syn, Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP Synthetic, Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil. I use the Kendall as I can get it at a good price. Other oil suppliers will have a product that meets spec as more diesels com on line with similar emissions. Even VW will now need it. LOL

I could NOT find a Valvoline oil that listed the correct Chrysler spec. and until it does I’d avoid it.
See: http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/pre...ue_extreme.pdf

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #57 of 57 Old 09-02-2016, 09:23 AM
KilWerBzz

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
What oil are people using and their promaster diesels? A mechanic recommended Valvoline senthetic Diesel oil? Is there a difference between diesel synthetic?
Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 meets Chrysler spec's.
Your oil needs to meet Chrysler Material Standard MS-11106 and that are approved to ACEA C3. This is a low ash oil or "euro" oil as most low ash oils are labeled. It's not the diesel you need to worry about but the diesel particulate filter, a high ash oil will clog the filter. The recommended "Pennzoil euro L" oil is now on the shelf at some auto parts stores. Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 is the inexpensive online oil what I use. I think amazon has the low shipped price. Read the diesel oil posts to find out more.

2014 Ram Promaster 2500 HR 159" Diesel
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ram/promas...lWerBzz/364918

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page