User Tag List

post #1 of 10 Old 09-16-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Dave's not home

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Father & Son Promaster Camper Van Build

Thought folks might be interested in this great father/son camper van build; and lots of detail on their build site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-F-q-LDMmw

Build site
http://syntheti.cc/van-build/

Cheers,

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave's not home For This Useful Post:
CarpDude (09-16-2015), SergeyP (09-17-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-16-2015, 08:06 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
A very well documented build for sure BUT, a lot of unessecary errors in construction and lack of understanding about building a conversion van that could very easily been avoided by simply visiting this site of help and ideas.

Good luck to him tho!

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-16-2015, 11:10 PM
MsNomer

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
My first thought was, 38 days?? I'm jealous." Then I didn't feel so bad when I saw the corners cut.

Nice plan, though, for one person.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-16-2015, 11:53 PM
big wally

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Looks great.
Well thought out and well built.
I'm also jealous, 38 days, wow!
Thanks for all the ideas.
I hope mine comes out 1/2 as nice.
Buy your Dad a beer.
Mike from Banff
post #5 of 10 Old 09-17-2015, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Dave's not home

(Thread Starter)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
My first thought was, 38 days?? I'm jealous." Then I didn't feel so bad when I saw the corners cut.

Nice plan, though, for one person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponvaning View Post
A very well documented build for sure BUT, a lot of unessecary errors in construction and lack of understanding about building a conversion van that could very easily been avoided by simply visiting this site of help and ideas.

Good luck to him tho!
OK, Ah so Ouch

I'm a Canuck, so I'll start with an apology and move to I'm sorry.

My apologies for not expressing why I posted the vid and build site and I'm sorry it was not of super duper high-tech quality

I posted the vid and build site cause I was fascinated by the multi/dimensional stories being portrayed.

First, I'm a father of a son of similar age and I am enjoying spending time with him in work life and on various projects, so this vid struck a cord for me. It's so encouraging to see this family supporting their son in what ever direction life will take him....

There are many mistakes bing made as they progressed through the build but, They have set some challenging personal goals both in time and budget. I personally started my day today with fixing several mistakes I'd made on my build. I find that if I keep an open mind I can learn new things every day from some unlikely sources.

I thought their design for a single person based on a short wheel base was super efficient and true to their goals. I particularly liked their recycling of many materials that were about the family house re cabinet doors etc.......

Looks like bill is very comfortable on the tools and has a very well set up shop, got to love that. I particularly liked the simplicity of the pluming being gravity fed from a canister above and below.

And what about the whole back story... F the banks, sold his house to live in a van?

My build is progressing like a Canadian glacier grinding away so very slowly, or is it maybe retreating with global warming 38 days is impressive! not sure if it was 38 days continuos or a total of 38 days, either way its impressive!

I bet the table design will be tossed for something more efficient and less restrictive, maybe a Lagun table bracket: http://svhotwire.com/index.php?route...&product_id=13 Seeing them install the insulation made me itchy just watching; I've spent way to much time with construction insulation in my time to ever consider using it in a confined ever vibrating living space.

Seeing the vid and reading the detailed build site just leaves me with one thing to say to all, Thank you all for taking the time to share your experiences!!

Cheers,

Dave
post #6 of 10 Old 09-17-2015, 04:20 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Exactly Dave. Well said. It is a good, well thought out plan just poorly executed because of a lack of knowledge.

Please don't follow this guys construction techniques unless you want to waste time and money in the long run!

Using fiberglass insulation is the first big no, no then it looks as if his dad is cutting the fan opening in the roof and the vent in the rear door out with a 4" angle grinder and, hopefully, a metal cutting disk. A quality jig saw with a fine metal cutting blade would do a far better and safer job. The cheap plastic vent in the rear door is what really blew me away tho! What's going to happen when he forgets it's there and opens the door against the side of the van? Drawing fresh air in from the rear of the van, down that low, is just asking to die from co2 poisoning! A far better option should be a small awning window located at the rear side that could be opened at will and provide not only ventilation but protection from the weather and security. I don't even want to think about using what looks like punched aluminum angle to hold down the solar panels or the technique he used to run the wires thru the roof and then sealing it up (hopefully) with RTV,

I'm not sure why anyone considering full timing in a van would buy a 136 WB over a 159 WB either. There are many valid reasons to buy a 136 but full time living is hardly one iof them!

While I've been known to use the F word on many occasions, I find it a bit childish and offensive to have to hear it and read it constantly online, especially in reference to converting a van! Very poor judgment and poor taste, IMHO.

I could go on and on but my blood pressure is already climbing and if it gets any higher the Army may not accept me if I ever try to join again

Otherwise it is a good practical design and thanks for posting it Dave, if only to show people how not to convert a van.

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.

Last edited by keeponvaning; 09-17-2015 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 10 Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Garage
It is hard to be too critical as they got what they wanted. I am doing a build and working alone (bit 'O help from my friends) it will take me about 45 working days. I have a much better insulated and less condensation prone system in the same size van, same fan, Espar diesel heater, place for a porta-pottie, same solar but properly installed, convertible bed/sofa, full dinette for a workspace, similar galley but with no high tanks, as much storage, and I spent $1000 less ($4300), have a diesel van for the same money, my conversion is about half the weight and ....... my conversion is mostly modular and can be removed in about 20 minutes to have a van again ...... you never know when you need one. The difference? I paid attention here and learned from you all. Thanks

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #8 of 10 Old 09-17-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Dave's not home

(Thread Starter)
Warning and Disclaimer for Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponvaning View Post
Exactly Dave. Well said. It is a good, well thought out plan just poorly executed because of a lack of knowledge.

Please don't follow this guys construction techniques unless you want to waste time and money in the long run!

Using fiberglass insulation is the first big no, no then it looks as if his dad is cutting the fan opening in the roof and the vent in the rear door out with a 4" angle grinder and, hopefully, a metal cutting disk. A quality jig saw with a fine metal cutting blade would do a far better and safer job. The cheap plastic vent in the rear door is what really blew me away tho! What's going to happen when he forgets it's there and opens the door against the side of the van? Drawing fresh air in from the rear of the van, down that low, is just asking to die from co2 poisoning! A far better option should be a small awning window located at the rear side that could be opened at will and provide not only ventilation but protection from the weather and security. I don't even want to think about using what looks like punched aluminum angle to hold down the solar panels or the technique he used to run the wires thru the roof and then sealing it up (hopefully) with RTV,

I'm not sure why anyone considering full timing in a van would buy a 136 WB over a 159 WB either. There are many valid reasons to buy a 136 but full time living is hardly one iof them!

While I've been known to use the F word on many occasions, I find it a bit childish and offensive to have to hear it and read it constantly online, especially in reference to converting a van! Very poor judgment and poor taste, IMHO.

I could go on and on but my blood pressure is already climbing and if it gets any higher the Army may not accept me if I ever try to join again

Otherwise it is a good practical design and thanks for posting it Dave, if only to show people how not to convert a van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDinNHandAZ View Post
It is hard to be too critical as they got what they wanted. I am doing a build and working alone (bit 'O help from my friends) it will take me about 45 working days. I have a much better insulated and less condensation prone system in the same size van, same fan, Espar diesel heater, place for a porta-pottie, same solar but properly installed, convertible bed/sofa, full dinette for a workspace, similar galley but with no high tanks, as much storage, and I spent $1000 less ($4300), have a diesel van for the same money, my conversion is about half the weight and ....... my conversion is mostly modular and can be removed in about 20 minutes to have a van again ...... you never know when you need one. The difference? I paid attention here and learned from you all. Thanks
Oh Jeez, Ok here is the Warning and disclaimer for the post

Kids don't ask your Dad to try this at home. Following the build practises depicted in the linked video and build site could result in serious injury and or death!

Warning! Some may find the Language used in the build web site offensive.

This video and build website do not represent the views of the poster, it is intended for information purposes only

On serious note, yes I agree with your observations on several points. I both laughed and cringed when bill dug out the angle grinder, pretty sure he used a zip cut wheel but, I bet the paint around the cut got way over heated! kind of reminded me of framing carpenters who bring chain saws to work, yikes! I also had to laugh on the money spent on the folding bike $1500 and the swank mattress, Kids theses days... Take the bike and mattress out of the budget and their build price would be under 4k.

Their are many many mistakes being made and I have no problem in identifying them. My build is the polar opposite of theirs in every way. I waited 5 months for my PM to arrive so, I hate to admit it but I've spent well in excess of 38 days just in research alone. I am a member of several conversion forums and draw something from all of them. but, again I enjoy the energy and family unity depicted.

Cheers,

Dave
PS My biggest disappointment in the build was there does not seem to be a puppy in his small home
post #9 of 10 Old 02-23-2016, 05:00 AM
evlee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
awesome build, your Dad is hilarious
post #10 of 10 Old 08-18-2016, 08:06 PM
Skaggydog

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
A picture's worth

Paint burned back around cutout. Hot steel spatter embedded into paint. Lucky not to damage eyes. My 4 1/2" angle grinder is one of my most used tools, but it don't belong everywhere and it can hurt you bad in a heartbeat,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no no.jpg (109.8 KB, 32 views)

If it don't fit get a bigger hammer

2016 2500 159" Gas HT Glazed
To be a camper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page