User Tag List

post #61 of 68 Old 10-22-2016, 11:31 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Garage
You are right but I dislike batteries under the vehicle for a bunch of reasons including weather, corrosion, access, and service. In a camper conversion there is usually space in one of the cabinets inside where they are clean, protected, accessible and serviceable. My flooded lead acid golf cart batteries rest under the dinette seat, have the inverter nearby and a disconnect switch within three inches of the negative terminal to assure that they will not create any emergencies. They have a tie-down to one of the D rings in the floor and they are vented. AGM’s should not need venting so they might be even easier. My 1930 A Model Ford Roadster had its 6Volt battery hanging down similar to the PM’s factory battery but not in an enclosed box. How far have we come?

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 10-27-2016, 06:02 PM
klunytoons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was trying to figure out where the vent is location on the aux battery. I have a sealed Optima. Do I just put the clear vent hose in the box and run it to where the van battery is. Or does that clear vent hose need to be attached to the battery's vent. It wasn't obvious to me where that would be on the yellow top optima.
post #63 of 68 Old 10-27-2016, 06:56 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
No vent on a sealed Optima. The starting battery has a vent thru the battery box floor.

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.
post #64 of 68 Old 10-27-2016, 06:57 PM
proeddie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
From the Optima website...

"When used with a properly regulated constant voltage charging system (such as an alternator), the OPTIMA will not emit hydrogen gas. However, gassing can occur when charging at excessive voltage levels or in extreme high-temperature conditions. In automotive applications, this typically will not happen if the alternator/regulator stays below 15 volts."

The Optima battery, and most similar AGM batteries do not vent under normal conditions. So, there is no need for a vent tube. I have been using AGM batteries for Ham Radio for many years... in the house. No issues, never vented. These are Valve Regulated Lead-Acid (VRLA) Batteries, which means they are sealed and can be mounted upsuide down, sideways etc.

The same is NOT TRUE for Flooded Lead Acid batteries.

Ed

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum
post #65 of 68 Old 11-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Charger7022

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I tied mine in with the factory vent just to be safe. my battery is an AGM battery from sams club. if you look back at my pictures you can see a lil brass fitting at the top left corner of my homemade box.
post #66 of 68 Old 11-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Charger7022

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
the battery doctor connects and disconnects the aux battery automatically from the vehicles charging system
post #67 of 68 Old 12-31-2016, 04:35 PM
bobby

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
this is what I will do for mine, so I can save this thread, wow just noticed thread tools and figured out how to use it.

Last edited by bobby; 12-31-2016 at 04:41 PM.
post #68 of 68 Old 12-31-2016, 05:33 PM
Rich Maund

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I kept mine simple. Bought an old maple bed side night stand at a thrift shop. Nice solid wood. Put a couple deep cycle batteries in boxes in it below the drawer. Ran cables to charge controller on wall above it and then cables to ceiling to tie into the 4 solar panels. NOT connected to vans system at all. When not camping, I adjust the charge down to 13.5 volts. Enough to float the batteries and not enough to be off gassing. When camping I move it up to 14.2 volts to peak the batteries better. I also leave the side windows cracked open when camping. No worries. Cells have needed no water in the past year. I use a 500 watt pure sine inverter to run my fridge.

The senior member formerly known as Sidecarnutz.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page