Ram Promaster Forum banner

2014 Ram Promaster Fuel Tank Size?

18K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Storming 
#1 ·
How many liters/gallons of fuel can the 2014 Ram Promaster hold?

#4 ·
It would be a good idea if they give an option for a bigger fuel tank for people that need this for long distance. Lining up for fuel can kill a lot of time, time is everything when you're running a business. Best to save it by getting a bigger tank

#14 ·
My painter & I were talking about the fact that I'm getting a promaster. He went and took a look and he bumped into the Ram C/V and is considering that after the new year. He brought me the brochure and I was flipping through and noticed the engine is the same V6 Pentastar as the PM. The brochure was touting that the C/V will go approximately 500 between fill ups and it's only a 20 gallon tank. Obviously size of vehicle, GVWR and load weight will vary, but I'm hoping for some good results...that's another reason I went with the lower roof!

#16 ·
The Caravan weighs about 500 lbs less than the smallest PM, but the biggest difference is that it is MUCH lower, and should get significantly better fuel economy at higher speeds.

Minivan owners with the Pentastar typically report upper 20's in the highway, and 20 to low 20's in mixed town-highway driving.

#21 ·
I would like a 35-40 gal tank. I have a diesel and that would expand my range. Also diesel is cheap where I live $1.98 gal yesterday. it would be nice to fill up here and return to here before needing to refuel. I do long distance delivery often to expensive fuel areas. I have gone 620.8 miles on 22.78 gals, yes I often run the tank nearly empty.

#24 ·
As I understand it, it actually isn't easy at all to install a second tank. It may be different in the diesel (doubt it) but in the gas the tank is both pressurized and put under vacuume at various times to keep track of the vapor recovery system (evap system). This is also how the computer knows if the gas cap is missing.

So, a second tank would need a tube or pipe to plumb into the main tank, and a vapor/air line at the top to work. You couldn't do a true dual tank/dual fuel system because the pump is in the main tank, and you'd have no good way to convince the computer to deal with two pumps. The pump itself is pulse width modulated, so it put out a commanded pressure rather than a constant pressure with a return system.

I suppose you could just install a second tank with a cheapie pump in it, and when you ran low just run the pump to fill up the main tank. Inelegant to say the least. But I'm with you - it would be nice to buy a whole days worth of fuel, rather than having to stop.

#25 ·
I suppose you could just install a second tank with a cheapie pump in it, and when you ran low just run the pump to fill up the main tank. Inelegant to say the least. But I'm with you - it would be nice to buy a whole days worth of fuel, rather than having to stop.

This was more along the lines of what I was thinking and is fairly common among diesel pickup owners (Especially those who work with other diesel equipment). In a pickup the tanks are simply placed in the front of the bed, so it's obviously less involved but still could work the same way.

#26 ·
I put 25.5 gallons in my last 622 mile fill up! I top off my tanks (2.5 gallons extra after 1st click).. My fuel light came on at 520s so drove about 100 miles with light on.. Diesel 3500 Ext

#27 ·
One of my fill up's i have put in 25.5 gallons! I top off my tanks (2.5 gallons extra after 1st click).. My last tank 622 miles on 24.1 gallons = 25.8mpg.. Fuel light came on 520s so drove about 100 miles with light on.. Diesel 3500 Ext
Site wouldn't let me edit above post so I'm reposting.

One of my fill up's i have put in 25.5 gallons! I top off my tanks (2.5 gallons extra after 1st click).. My last tank 622 miles on 24.1 gallons = hand calculated 25.8mpg(computer said 24.9).. Fuel light came on 520s so drove about 100 miles with light on.. Diesel 3500 Ext

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.