Ram Promaster Forum banner

Dan the Band Van Build in Sunny FL

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Roblee 
#1 ·
Hey Friends,

I figured I'd start a new thread on my build and update it as I progress. My 10 year old daughter named our PM "Dan the Band Van" because it's going to primarily be my band van. It is my daily driver and will serve as our metal tent when we go camping together too. I don't trust regular tents to ward off bears, but my PM should do the trick! My plan is to put a separation wall at the front of the rear wheel wells to section off the rear for storing band gear for large gigs when I need my full setup. But when I don't need that I want to make the wall fold down back towards the rear doors to make a bunk bed and rest on braces bolted to the van frame. The rest of the "living space" will be some type of cozy wrap around couch that pulls out into a bed. Need a jump seat with a seatbelt in there too. Will also have a TV, fans, LEDs, and lots of USB inputs all running off a 12V 200ah AGM battery hooked up to a 100W Renogy solar panel kit. Might try to squeeze a slim closet in there to store my gig outfit so I can change in the PM. That's the plan anyway.

Here's a recap of what I've done in the first 7 days I've owned it...

- First I started by tapping into the back up camera and adding a switch on the dash to allow me to switch the back up camera on anytime. Works like a charm! I LOVE being able to see behind me now. Yes my door open light is on but it's well worth it. Until someone suggests a more direct means of tapping into the camera I'll stick with this.

- Next I removed the two bolts to the passenger bench and added some spacers to tilt the seat back (which has no adjustments of its own) then fastened with longer M12 extra fine threaded bolts. The bench is MUCH more comfortable now that it's not at a 90degree angle.

- Next up was adding the sound deadening insulation. I went with two types... and that's only because I couldn't decide so I bought two different types and ended up needing more of one or the other so I opted to use them both. I had 9 sheets of 80mil Noico self adhesive mat (amazon) and 7 rolls of Frost King Duct Insulation (HD). My plan was to use the Duct Insulation everywhere since I've read good things about it's sound deadening quality in cars and also because it has an R3 value (which I figure only adds to my overall R value)... but 7 rolls did everything but the floor. So I figured since I had it sitting right there I'd use the Noico mats on the floor figuring I don't need as much insulation on the floor, just sound deadening.

- Lastly I decided to insulate with polyiso. Unfortunately my HD only has 3/4 inch polyiso boards, so my plan is to double insulate the walls and just a single layer on the roof and floor (since that's all there's really room for). I got the polyiso floor cut out and installed last night. I put the old 3/4" plywood floor that came in my van back on top... and WOW what a difference in noise level. Such a great improvement, I'm optimistic the road noise sound level will be very low once I'm done. Before I continue with the polyiso application on the walls and ceiling I will install my MaxxFan. Got the butyl tape and waiting on the Dicor sealant to arrive today. That's my project for tonight (maybe). More to come!

(PICS for these steps are on the "What did you do to your Promaster today?" thread)

See less See more
#2 ·
Last night I (bravely) tackled the MaxFan install and the Renogy 100W solar panel install. I had one tube of Dicor LAP Sealant and wanted to kill two birds with one stone. After returning from a nice dinner with my daughter and a full belly of chicken and waffles I (bravely) began cutting into my roof. I followed normal protocol and everything turned out very nice! Hose test tonight... then I'll add a happy face imogi.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Got more done this weekend...
- Insulation is now in... went with 3/4" polyiso on the ceiling and floor and 1.5" on the walls. I numbered the panels and cut out each one before adhering to the van. I doubled up on the walls using 3M 90 to stick two panels together. Used Good Stuff to bond to the van wall/ceiling and fill around.
- Got the subfloor cut and bolted down with the cargo ties. Still needs some work leveling the sections.
- Also got most of the wiring done for my TV, fans, & lights.
- Oh yeah... and I mounted a shore power outlet to my rear bumper.

Next up... cutting the ceiling panels and mounting the LED lights.

Attachments

#9 ·
Been working my rear off every spare moment I have building out my PM. Thought I'd give an up date... made a lot more progress, starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!
- 1/2" plywood walls and ceiling installed and carpeted
- Upper running boards covered and installed
- LED's installed and working
- Fans installed and working
- TV installed and working
- Ford Econoline bolt in bench installed
- Bed deck built, covered, and rails mounted to side frame.
My Motion Window will be delivered tomorrow... Finally! Can't wait to install that this weekend. Also have to build the fridge cabinet with sink and water cabinet, plus an upper cabinet to house the microwave and dry goods.

Attachments

#12 ·
I put rollup shades on all my windows for speed and no need to store them. First day I discovered it was a bad idea on slider as I opened door from outside and mangled the shade. Your install gives me an idea how I can do an easy mod to prevent that. Won't be as integrated as yours but should work. Thanks for the tip! Yours is the first like this I've seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.