Ram Promaster Forum banner

Options for raising clearance

37K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  RDinNHandAZ 
#1 ·
I end up on some gnarly roads, especially in the southern UT desert. After bottoming out my 3500 twice (only minor damage :) ) I am looking at options for improving clearance. There is some interesting info in this thread http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51066 on lift options, and it seems like using http://www.spaccer.com/ might be a good option for lifting by 2" or so. My questions are:

1. Which options have people tried for adding a few inches of lift? Any issues/considerations?
  2. What is the largest tire diameter that people have been able to fit? With or without modifications to the wheel well?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I'm totally interested in this also. I think the vans look really good with the front lifted and aggressive tires. the largest tire I have seen people run is the 245/75/16 some have rub and some don't. I don't have personal experience just going by what I have read. From the pictures I have seen the 245 are tight in the back and I would have to say that's the limit without lift. If you do get the spacers please share pictures.

#3 ·
I end up on some gnarly roads, especially in the southern UT desert. After bottoming out my 3500 twice (only minor damage
Thanks mikenamar, very useful iinfo. I am interested in the Promater because it's front wheel drive and sits lowest. Unless I figure out how to power the ARB freezer, induction cooktop and heat the van, I will have to choose the Transit with a horizontal propane tank.

#4 ·
Lots of us here have NO propane and don't miss it at all. There are other far better options than propane, BUT there are also several people here who have gone the propane route with no difficulties at all mounting the tank

#5 ·
Hi,
We use a regular 20 lb BBQ propane tank mounted inside the van in a sealed and strongly built compartment that is vented to the outside. Like it a lot better than last RV with tank mounted under the frame which had a lot of problems with short component life due to road mud etc.

We use the propane for heat and cooking. For cooking it would last years, and for heat on a 20F ish night it only uses about half a gallon -- so, it can do a week of quite cold weather. Refills are a quick exchange an any of the thousands of places that BBQ cylinder exchanges. Only real downside is that it takes up a bit of space.

This is what our tank install looks like: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-co...van-conversion-installing-the-propane-system/

Gary

#6 ·
While the propane discussion is interesting, I would like to bring it back to the original topic: Lift and tire size.

Sounds like some have had luck with 245 tires. Does anyone running those also have a lift? I imagine that could change how the tire sits in the wheel well and possibly affect rubbing, etc.

#7 ·
For the front there are in Europe the AL-KO ACS Comfort Suspension for the front. It is used mainly for motorhome builders, and rise the nose 25 mm for "ligth" version or 40 mm for heavy version, if I remember well.
Different are also the coils so there is less nose dive and dynamics.
There is also a reduction of noise.

They do also suspensions addo-ons and suspensions systems for the rear.
There are several other manufacturers.

Otherwise You could write to Dangel, they do the 4x4 version of the Fiat Ducato (authorized by FCA). Only for 2.3 diesel engine.
They also have an option to raise the van (+ protections) so You could an advise to them.
The mechanical parts of this Fiat Professional demo motorhome is made by them

#9 · (Edited)
I will have about 500lbs hanging 3ft behind the rear bumper. I will definitely have airbags to aid the rear suspension. Might also add stoppers to prevent the van from bottoming out IF it's feasible.

Dodge RAM Promaster 1500 2500 3500 Van 2014 2015 & 2016 BOSS Air Bag Kit LA66 for $400...

#11 ·
A couple of things. 1. That suspension has a SINGLE leaf where ours have a double, already lifting our vans’ rear about 3 inches. 2. I doubt hanging 500 lbs out 3 feet from the rear of our vans will make much difference, the stock suspension is built to carry about 4500 lbs. although I know it would normally be forward but really 500 lbs. is nothing.
This picture makes me more interested in removing the second leaf on my jacked up rear end on my 1500 to get it down, the reverse of what the OP wants!

#15 ·
1. Spaccer is the only available option to lift the front end. A user here has used the Spaccer's. For the rear the only available options are: add-a-leaf, airbags, or Sumo Springs. The heavy duty Sumo Springs add around 1".
2. I have 245's and they fit great with no rubbing.

I also spent time off road in Utah. No bottoming out even with my water tanks mounted underneath in the middle of the van.

#23 · (Edited)
The people that are worried about all kinds of things will not approve. Just pull the bolt out of the hub carrier and slide the strut up until you can slide the bolt back in under the support on the strut. You don't even need to remove the wheels. There is still lots of strut in the carrier. It can't travel down or up. You need to loosen the sway bar to move the strut up. It doesn't change the way the van drives that I can tell.

#28 ·
I was talking through email to the guys a van compass and they said they are close to developing a strut spacer that will be about 1.75". your defiantly onto something and if it was just me in the van I would be all for it. just don't feel safe to me with the kids in the van.

#33 · (Edited)
I mounted up a set of Cooper STT last night. They look awesome and I'll get to test them out down in the desert this weekend.

The wheel well clearance on the rear tires is really tight, which makes me a bit nervous. About 1/4" at the front of the wheel well. I would like to trim the wheel well a little bit, but I'm worried about cutting into the frame like that. Has anyone else trimmed the rear wheel well? Any issues?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.