Ram Promaster Forum banner

Exterior color

14K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  Brian P 
#1 ·
For those of us that have an exterior color other than white, why did you choose your specific color was it for business purposes, looks, whatever was available etc..

#3 ·
I know, right? Why are so many vans spec'd by dealers in white. Those few dealers who don't do white usually get black, the absolutely hardest color to keep clean.

I have yet to see a Sandstone, Deep cherry or Indigo Blue in person. I've seen white, black, silver and red.

#5 · (Edited)
I bought the Graphite metallic, but had to go to a dealer 2 states away to find and buy one.

I like the look, less tradesman-like. Adding the windows all the way around added looks (at least for me.) An added bonus is that the interior in Graphite looks real nice with my conversion plans. I almost bought a red metallic but I couldn't take the all-red interior look.

It does show dirt more than my traditional car color - silver.

Enjoy your PM,
Ed

Attachments

#9 ·
I got deep cherry red I was just tired of white trucks and vans thats all I've had for a long long time.I had to deal with a lousy dealership to get this one 118 diesel but they had it for a while and bought it cash last day of the month and quarter so they were willing to do business.It's real close in color to a 84 e350 4x4 I had that was my best van ever.But that was when gas was .99cents.This van is a different animal but I like it 26mpg best so far and that will get better with miles

#11 ·
I got mine in black and love it. I only washed it twice in almost a year of ownership, and it looks great! I love that since I tinted the glass, you can't tell it has side and rear windows.
I think this truck in black looks elegant and mean simultaneously.
My running boards match it perfectly too.
Very pleased!

#14 · (Edited)
For me, if only b/c I live in FL, it came down to Any Color Except White or Black. Yes, even on a commercial vehicle so commonly criticized as an Ugly Duckling, like ProMaster - "black looks elegant". However a far bigger concern was obtaining "elegant" air conditioning.

Have finally seen every color in person, except the Sandstone tan/gold color - which is of course, my favorite. Was hoping for some new colors for 2016, but been discouraged.

Have toyed with a some ideas to have some fun with a white PM, utilizing computer graphics & wrapping technology.

Have had German shorthair pointers for many years & considered a brown (liver) spotted/flecked wrap.

And alternatively, either a classic Santa Fe locomotive, or Space Shuttle motif wraps.

Local Ram commercial truck guy told me they had a lot of PM's done in wraps & thought they could do the GSP spots for $300 installed. Had rejected the idea b/c of inevitable unwanted attention, durability questions & problem taking it off for resale. Told wrap holds up pretty well & is EZ remove. Wouldn't be 1st time he was FOS.

#15 ·
I visited 4 dealers that had promasters. All white except a silver..2500 with option that i didnt want and a darker gray one cheaper and i got the graphite gray.
i didnt notice at the time that the plastic body moldings matched the paint. Nice!
And the Arch Amazon Boards look and function sweet on it too.

#16 ·
At first I was going for a bold color, Deep Cherry. Then decided to go subtle but not White. Chose Sandstone and like it. All my exterior and interior hardware (awning, vents, fixtures) are black. I like that combo/contrast.

#17 ·
First choice when I was looking around was the Sandstone Metallic. Hadn't seen it in person, but liked the photos I found. The silver was a close second.

Didn't want white, but wanted something that would stay reasonably cool out here in the desert east of the Cascades. Figured it would be a lot easier to heat a van than cool it, didn't need to fight with a dark van. And did NOT want a 'commercial' white van.

Then after a bit, the Sandstone started looking too much like an 'RV' to me. Now, I'm not going for a full 'stealth' setup, but it didn't feel right in tan, seemingly the standard RV color. So, it was silver. I'd had a silver Audi for years, the girl has a silver Mini, it works well.

After I ordered mine I saw the Sandstone in person. It does look good, and there's a tinge of occasional regret, but I'm liking the silver.

#18 ·
I ordered my 2016 window van in Sandstone. I have been using a gold colored GMC savana for the last 160,000 miles, and it is excellent at looking clean without any effort on my part. The important thing to remember is that the color on the outside is what you will see on walls, ceiling, day after day after day, and although the other non-white colors look nice on the exterior, they seem too colorful on the interior. I also like the tan/gold with black trim combo. I wonder if there will ever be any options for different color interiors....maybe the postal drivers will push that option when we start seeing them later this year cruising in their brand new promasters!

#20 ·
That has pretty much been dismissed as a fallacy. There was a good thread about it posted here last summer, I believe, Google is your friend, as always.

As I remember the difference was negligible, particularly in a well insulated van. I had no problem going with white although I wouldn't have ordered a white one. Price, options and availability were more important to me than color and waiting months for it to be built.

#21 ·
Mine is Deep Cherry. The girlfriends words "thank god you didn't get refrigerator white!" However, the Inside turns to a black hole as soon as the day light dims. Lighter color would make things easier to see back there. If you are building it out, add insulation and make the inside whatever color suits you. Problems solved.

Color was also way down on my list or requirements.

#23 ·
Silver. I live off a gravel road which kicks up quite a bit of dust. Almost fruitless to wash our vehicles... They look dirty after 2 hours. Silver disguises the dirt quite well. The plastic nose and exterior trim bits contrasts the body color nicely. Living in the country I actually appreciate Ram's penny pinching strategy of not painting the grill... No pock marks from gravel or paint blemishes from insect juice. I once but bumped into a snow bank that was a bit more frozen than I thought... No damage to the front.

#24 ·
I went with black, grease and oil are black and i'm usually covered in one or the other so it seemed like the best option.. Lol, now the interior with the factory two little lights that only stay on for 5 min is a totally different story.. I can't see my hand in front of my face at night in the back when they dim out. Improvements to come...

#25 ·
Another silver owner. Think it looks great with all the black and red trim, will look better with black running boards (ordered by the way, but went a different direction-chose the hard industrial diamond patterned steel with far less chance of slips compared to the solid and/or plastic coated models).
Silver seemed to me a good compromise between Sun/heat and avoiding appliance white.

#26 ·
After three white trucks in a row, I chose a Graphite Promaster. I constantly get people coming up to my truck telling me how cool it looks, they've "never seen one of these before". Meanwhile, there's a white Promaster in the same parking lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.