Ram Promaster Forum banner

Hand Broken

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Blessing 
#1 ·
Beware of the frozen hand-brake. Or rather the frozen hand-brake cable system. Amidst a cold, snowy past couple of weeks our 2016 PM 2500 has been plagued by a routine of nightly freeze ups and then a rather clamorous, code-throwing, tire-blowing failure. My suspicion was moisture had found its way into the cable housing and was locking up as the sun set, a likely culprit. But about a week ago my commute to work one morning included screeching rotor, bells, whistles an ESC warning, ABS light, and Service Engine alert.all fun, which led me to drop by the dealer for a look see. Alas, with shrugged shoulders all the service rep could say was they couldn't replicate it ("But we've started a case") and and after a night in the shop everything seemed to be working fine. Fast forward to last Friday evening, December 23rd, complete with blizzard conditions, and all of the above returned plus a fully-seized left rear wheel which led to a blown tire, many a blue word and a two-hour wait for a wrecker big enough to haul us back to the shop. So after a Christmas spent serving and protecting I awoke to spending the better part of this morning at the dealer only to find that they'll be replacing the existing system with "improved" cables/housing, which they don't have. Which are in Portland. Which might be here tomorrow. Unless this next storm system rolls in. And shuts down I-84. Which has happened, the past two storms. Joy.

#2 ·
I have also had the same issues this winter with my 2014 ProMaster. Got it to the dealer and they said could not locate problem. Also had the van in shop overnight. Froze up the following day, called dealer and they said would have to order new emergency brake(3 weeks out) Installed for 545.00 plus labor. No warranty! Van has 26,000 miles on it. I am self employed and was basically without a van for 3 weeks! They also replaced my rear brake pads at this time because they said they were destroyed. After reading other post about this I believe this is a manufactures defect. My total bill was over 1,400.00. I am extremely disgusted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.