Ram Promaster Forum banner

Left over 2014

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  RDinNHandAZ 
#1 ·
What's a good price on a left over 2014?
It's a 2500 diesel. MSRP is just under 40k.

I currently own 2 gas 2014s. So just a little hesitant getting a diesel as never had one.

#2 ·
I am an advocate of the 3.0 FCA diesel PM. Since about 4/2015 they have been almost faultless as reported here. Even most 2014 owners did fine too, but not all. I would warn you that DEF has a lifetime and that van has expired DEF in its tank. That DEF injection system gave some trouble in more than a few of the ‘14s. Any 2014 diesel needs to have its ECM software updated to the latest spec. There were some EGR, and low turbo boost issues that may have been computer problems but could cause that van to spend many days or weeks in the shop until FCA gets it right. If you can risk not having it for the time it may take to get it right negotiate a price in the “well under 30K $” IMHO.

I would not accept it until 1. the DEF is siphoned out and replaced with fresh prior to driving it. 2. The prep tech updates the software to the latest flash and you get a service report (which they can make). 3. The dealer has an employee drive the van for 600+ miles on your deposit and good faith of purchase if it is fine. Then and only then would I sign for that vehicle and hand over the check. Lets face it the dealer is probably going to have to do these things anyway but after they have your money and you have a van in their garage (or out back waiting for parts).

Get through these start-up issues and it is a great van, you will love it so much more than the gasser I think. Others will chime in.

#3 ·
Thank you for the very detailed response!! I will definitely make the dealer change the DEF and do any TSB or recalls.

The van currently has 226 miles so Im sure were using it as a demo/run parts around van.

So I know for future what does the DEF cost? How often does it need to be filled up?

I definitely don't want to buy it and have it sit in the shop. So hopefully all this can be addressed.

#5 ·
$7.88 for a 2-1/2 gallon container at Walmart and 1 gal goes about 1500 miles. It holds 5+ gal. It is insignificant as KOV says. You should get 23 mpg of diesel using the van for mixed use in and between cities. Many of us get 27 mpg traveling lightly loaded. It is quiet, powerful enough and pulls like a freight engine. It is also an older design built for commercial use and has a reputation for incredible lifetime. The ‘14s were beta testing the emissions system I think, but now it is prime time good to go!

#7 ·
Congratulations! I expect it will be fine if the dealer didn’t get CEL’s in that 255 miles or so. My dealer knew about the DEF issue last July and acted accordingly on a van I ordered and had sat for only 2 months in MX and TX and so it has been faultless having gotten all the TSB and updates when in for service.

It would be great if you could report back once in a while, reminding us of its long sit, how it has worked out and comparing the diesel and gas as many here want to know more about that comparison.
Be well and safe, Capt'n

#9 ·
It can be hard as you get called names if you disagree with opinions, Adrian was better at it but I believe somebody needs to speak up. Many sprinter and other diesel owners have poisoned the water due to their bad experiences. This one is a different product which does not share the others' issues (anymore!) since FCA seems to have it sorted out.
Thanks I guess.
RD

#10 ·
I will definitely keep thread updated as time goes on.

The gasser vans have been great mechanically. Just the little bugs of doors, wipers etc are stuff that drives me crazy.

54k on one so far. 159 WB high top 2500
21k on the other one. 136 WB high top 1500

Both averaging 15-16mpg.

#11 ·
I bought a left over 2014 last year,(july 15) msrp was $43000, gave $27500. the transmission is the main problem we have had. This friday makes 10 weeks at dealer for repair. we still love the van and would like it fixed. I worry about def issues as it has been sitting for the 10 weeks in the hot sun.

#13 ·
I know what you are saying. Many feel it should act just like an automatic which it is not. It is a manual and acts like one. I feel the 1st to 2nd shift is slow but am used to it and the rest is fine. Slow climbing on mountain roads requires the use of the manual mode. I have come to really like it. Remember to shut it off in gear, first or reverse just like you would a standard. Shift to neutral to start too. It will chime if the E-brake is not used.

#14 ·
The 1-2 shift seems to be the roughest. After that the rest are noticeable but I'm sure will get use to.

After drive threw it in R since I thought it was just like the other 2 I have. Only to realize car was still in gear.
It's a interesting process of getting van to start. In sure I will get use to it.
So far I've left it in N and pulled E brake before turning it off. Is that ok? I use to do that with all my manual sports cars. Or just safer incase brakes ever fail basically?

#15 ·
One thing to watch - the auto-manual computer delays shifting while cornering sharply, with its high torque in wet or snowy conditions this might be a great safety feature but it can teach humility pretty rapidly... example: ducking out into a gap of traffic to the far lane of a two-lane road from a side street, it will haul you out just about to the center line and run out of RPM range and will hold high RPMs without accelerating until the turn is complete - counter intuitive to keep the pedal depressed but if you try to coax the shift by backing off the throttle all it does is slow down as only a diesel engine brake will do until the computer believes the truck is traveling in nearly a straight line again. I know that because I kind of embarrassed myself not too long ago in front of a whole raft of commuters...

#17 ·
If you turn them on when raining then when you turn them off they will keep going. Sometimes it's 30 seconds after you turn them off or could be 5 minutes for them to stop. It just has a mind of its own on when to turn off completely.

I should have older van back today from shop. They had to call RAM head quarters as have never seen the temperature reading outside and wipers doing what it's doing. They do think the temperature reading malfunction has to do with the AC not working. But other than that have no idea why it's doing what it's doing.

#18 · (Edited)
alarmtech said "So far I've left it in N and pulled E brake before turning it off. Is that ok? I use to do that with all my manual sports cars. Or just safer incase brakes ever fail basically?"

I have become accustomed to leaving it in D and do the same with my Miata (1st gear). The two schools of thought are 1. if in gear and gets bumped it might damage the transmission 2. The E-brake might fail, as you say. Take your pick. When I tried one out the commercial sales rep said to just leave it in N and was surprised the chiming happened. The van started to roll as I opened the door so I pulled on the E-brake! You must do one or the other and I do both. I still fail to get my seatbelt on so I hear it and I have also developed a “nudge the shifter into N with my elbow" when I forget to shift to N before I begin the start. I am a slow learner but it is becoming second nature.

W E I R D about the wipers. You have a first here on that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.